The Reckoning

Chapter 37: The Reckoning

-

Home, sweet home... Mystic Falls was a place Stefan and Amalia had longed to be inside of for the past three months, but now that they were actually back in town, all they wanted to do was leave. Of course, they were happy to be back, but not in the conditions they were under. They were in Mystic Falls under Klaus' terms... until he figured out what they were hiding from him. Which both of them knew wouldn't take him long to figure out, seeing as they were at the source of the problem.

The two of them woke up once again, getting a rise out of Rebekah, who wasn't too thrilled with them either. "Oh, they live."

"What happened?" Stefan asked, grabbing his neck out of pain and no recollection of the cause of it.

"You took a beating. My brother's been breaking your neck all afternoon. Quite the temper." Rebekah informed Stefan of his own pain before looking over at Amalia. "You, however... your life is limited. Or maybe not, so I've heard. Either way, he allowed me to do the honors of feeding on you until you were finally out. Thank god."

"Thank god." Amalia raised her eyebrows in an attempt to pretend as if she cared. "Care to explain why we're back in Mystic Falls?"

"You two failed to mention the doppelgänger's still alive." Rebekah looked over at Stefan to watch his expression go from confused to worried.

"Where is Klaus now?" Stefan asked, sighing as he still held onto the hope that Klaus wouldn't be able to find his girlfriend.

"With any luck, ripping that cow's bloody head off." Rebekah retorted, causing Stefan to rush at her and pin her against the ground.

"Where is she?" Stefan screamed out of anger, desperate to save Elena Gilbert.

"You really do love her, don't you?" Rebekah pushed him off the ground and against the truck, grabbing onto a crowbar and shoving it through his stomach. "Consider me jealous."

✰✰✰

Amalia sat by Stefan's side, stroking his hair as she waited for him to wake up. There wasn't much else for her to do but tend to his injuries unless she wanted to join the party of what was probably going to result in multiple deaths inside of her high school, not really leaving her with much of a choice. His eyes fluttered open, immediately catching onto hers and he quickly pulled his body up from the ground, sitting up with his knees to his chest.

"We've been in Mystic Falls for maybe two hours and you already got your ass kicked." Amalia laughed at him, somehow managing to get him to laugh as well. "I'd say that's a new record."

"How long was I--" Stefan looked around to see that they were the only two in the parking lot, worry crossing his face as his brain took him to the worst possible conclusion, in which Elena Gilbert was already dead.