[Chapter 6] A New Guest

“Where will you take her?” Addison asked.

Augustus paused. He had been about to open the driver’s side door to Addison’s truck. “I had not thought of it.”

Addison nodded. “Your instincts take over. You won’t think. That has gotten me in trouble with Rebecca. These humans don’t understand our ways.”

Augustus’ jaw tightened as he lifted his head. He had seen the miscommunication and tension between Addison and Rebecca. Augustus’ pride told him that he would have no trouble in binding his prize, but another part was not so sure. Humans could be horribly unpredictable.

“I will take her to her caretaker’s home. Perhaps if I allow her to remain near her family then she will welcome me as family.”

Addison’s eyes glazed over as he pondered the various outcomes from such a tactic. “I suppose it will be worth a try,” Addison answered. “Shall I drive?”

Augustus released the handle from his hand and clasped Addison’s shoulder. “Please.”

The rest of the brothers dispersed, moving back to the school. One of them would go to the principal to see that class was not canceled. They wanted all the students to remain where the Alphas could watch them. The fire was put out, and the crushed cars towed away. The accident was cleaned up to such an extent that no memory of it could be seen. The parking lot looked as if the crash had never happened. The only memory of it was in the minds of those who had witnessed it, and they would never forget. Never.

Augustus moved into the passenger seat, lifting his prize’s body to rest upon him. He pressed his lips to her warm cheek, and swore to himself that he would never let her go. Little shivers wracked her body as she began to sweat. He would be worried if Rebecca had not had the same reaction to Addison’s kiss. Still, part of him wondered if her body would be able to handle the change. His whispered soft words into her ear and caressed her back. He told her and himself that everything would work out the way it was supposed to.

“Does it fade?” he asked, keeping his blue eyes intently on the face of his beauty. From the corner of his eye, he saw Addison turn toward him with a question in his expression. “The feeling, the possession,” Augustus explained. He turned to meet Addison’s gaze. “Does the need ever fade?”

“Never,” Addison answered firmly. The two drifted into amiable silence as Addison drove them to Leta’s house. One of the other brothers picked up the address at the school while he adjusted class schedules to put Leta and Augustus together. They would have every class together, as they should.

Augustus felt nerves pricking his heart as they pulled into the neighborhood where Leta lived. He knew the address sounded familiar, and now he understood why. She lived at the same place Rebecca had lived before Addison took her. The old lady that lived there had been most reluctant to let her granddaughter go. In the end, she backed down. If she was trouble again, Augustus knew he would do what he had to.

As soon as the large truck was parked in the driveway, the front door opened and the grandmother rushed outside. “Have you brought my grandbaby back to me?” she cried, tears of fear and hope shimmering in her eyes. 

Addison tightened his hands on the steering wheel. He got out of the truck to help Augustus, but he was not going to engage the grandmother at all. As far as he was concerned, Rebecca was his now. And his alone.

Grandmother Leary wrung her hands together as she tried to make out the shapes in the passenger seat. Was that her granddaughter? Were they bringing her baby back to her? Her heart dropped, and she swooned as the figure stepped out. Another Alpha was holding a limp Leta in his powerful arms. He strode purposefully toward her.

“Leta is mine now, Ms. Leary, but if it would please you, and if it would please her when she awakes, then I would be happy for her to remain here.”

“No,” Grandmother Leary gasped, shaking her head in denial. Her heart couldn’t take this stress or the pain. “You’ve already taken one. You can’t have her!” She reached for a nearby column to brace herself against. Dots of light were flashing in her eyes.

“I will have her. She is already bound to me, and you know what would happen if we were to be separated. Now, please show me inside so that I may lay her down. She needs quiet and her rest.”

“No,” Grandmother Leary said again. “This isn’t happening again.”

Frustrated with the lack of acceptance, Augustus moved past her frail form and barged his way inside. He looked around the small home, suddenly realizing that his Leta had no room of her own. “This is unacceptable. If she is to stay her, then she needs a bedroom and a bed. Addison, go to the store and buy my love new sheets. I want this room to be her own,” he commanded as he surveyed the small bedroom.

Augustus growled at the parrots, which were acting frightfully. Their eyes were wide, and they fluttered frantically about the cage. They remembered him. They remembered Addison. They obviously remembered the night Addison came for Rebecca.

“My back is injured,” Ms. Leary’s voice cut in softly, broken. “I have to sleep on a bed. The couch will hurt me further.”

“Then your bed will be brought out into this living room, and Leta will receive a new bed, one large enough to fit me as well.”

“NO! I will not stand for that. You cannot stay here.”

“Ms. Leary, I have decided to allow your granddaughter to remain here. I will make this work. Nothing will dissuade me, least of all your objections. I am considering her wants, and I thought she would be happy to be near you. I will not compromise her happiness because you dislike me.”

Grandmother Leary rocked back and forth, and she feared that she might pass out. She slowly moved toward her walker. Without another word she inched her way to the front door and left. Augustus did not know or care where she went. He had a plan, and no one would get in the way of it. He needed to care for his prize. He sat down with a sigh, holding her close. Pulling out his cell phone, he called Addison. “I’ll need you to pick up a bed frame and mattress too.”