[Chapter 4] Burning Sweet Meeting

I had stayed up quite late the night before in order to pull together my investigative supplies. I was going Alpha hunting, and I needed to be prepared. I did not realize how exhausting (or futile) it is to prepare for something that you have absolutely no knowledge about. Did I need a fly-swatter? Maybe. Maybe not. Should I use my camera, or would that do more harm than good? How much snooping should I do on the internet, or would help the ‘alpha’ catch me? Was the Alpha even looking for me? Mystery Girl seemed to imply that the Alpha did not know I was a new student. But as for me, I don’t really know anything.

My night must have exhausted me more than I realized, for I woke up to the most peculiar sound.

Oh dear me… is that singing?

I squinted my soft brown eyes against the sun’s bright rays (they felt more like sharp shards) as they seared through the open window across from me. I wondered how long the bright orange orb had been up and shining on me... I sniffed the air. Good, I didn’t smell burnt. With my light complexion, I was easily sun-burnable (ridiculously so). Feeling the sun’s warmth isn't worth being a second away from being barbecued. I rolled over on the couch and buried my face in its cushioned back only to realize my plush blanket had fallen on the floor. I groaned, and then I heard it again.

There was this tight, light, high, squeaking, singing sound. A door opened, and the horror grew shriller and louder. I lifted my head to see Grams walking out of her bedroom in her granny panties and a tank-top. Wilber was perched on the top of her head, bobbing his own, while Grams brushed her teeth and danced to the sound of their....squalling. I glared at my cell-phone. Why hadn’t my alarm woken me and saved me from hearing such a skin-tingling attempt as music?

“Good morning, Leta!” Grams called to me as she hustled and shuffled an oldies dance into the kitchen. A few seconds later I heard the water turn on and the sound of her rinsing. “Do you have any idea what time it is?”

I gurgled a response through my morning phlegm. It was morning all right.

“I’ll give you a hint,” she replied with a smile as she came back into view. Her wrinkled fingers were perched together under her chin, and her brown eyes were lit with something mischievous. “If you don’t get to school in twenty minutes, you’ll be laaaaate!” she sang, waving her arms and fingers like she was in a super awful, cheap local television commercial. I think Wilber laughed. Stupid parrot. I glared at him wishing I had a nice, pointy rock to throw.

Wait..............what did she say? Twenty minutes? My head snapped to my cell-phone, and I quickly grabbed it. Turning it on, my face must have gone from white to ashen. What do you know? She was right. I had twenty minutes to get ready.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I don’t know how much time passed, but it was a furious blur of colors and sounds. My body was strung tight as I held onto Polly’s steering wheel. I begged time to slow down as I drove one mile per hour below the speed limit. Okay, you got me. I WAS SPEEDING. But I was about to be late, gosh darn it! 

Thankfully, my morning drive to school was about five minutes shorter than the drive home afterword. Turning into the school’s packed parking lot, I looked down - just a glance - at my dashboard clock. 8:02 A.M. 

AHHHHHHHH! I was two freaking minutes late!

I lifted my eyes, prepared to scout out a parking spot, when my car jolted to a sudden, unforeseen stop.

The impact slammed me forward, causing me to bite my tongue seemingly in half when my head bounced off the brick of a steering wheel. Well, that was unpleasant. My eyes saw bright, dancing elephant stars as I momentarily went deaf. Everything was swimming....or maybe I was. Where am I again? What is that smell?