[Chapter 16]

HEY ALL. An update. ummm, not sure why but I've started writing in third person. I think it flows better. I was rereading the story to get a hold of the characters and I don't think writing in first person was helping. Comment with your thoughts. Like 3rd person? Hate it? Who cares so long as there's an update?! :) Some details are bound to have changed so if someone had blue eyes before and now they're green, it's because I don't remember and I'd rather update than spend more time trying to sort it out. One day I'll go through and fix it!

The air seemed to cool a few degrees. A breeze rolled by, blowing around the loose pieces of Leta's blonde hair. Silence hung heavy in the old gazebo for a moment as the two young girls reflected on the information they had shared. Not much was revealed, but enough was given to hint at the seriousness, the mysteriousness of their plight. The moment was shattered by a loud buzzing sound, and the two girls jumped in their seats. Meredith "Mermaid" Bryn dug into her pocket and pulled out her cell-phone, which was the source of the blaring noise. Leta watched Meredith's green eyes widen and brighten. Her mouth fell open and she uttered, "Oh boy, I have to go." Without a glimpse in Leta's direction, Meredith sprang from the bench and ran toward the street with her phone held out in front of her face.

"What? Hey!" Leta yelled after her, chasing down the only person who seemed to have a clue and was willing to talk about it to her. Leta was not ready for the conversation to be over. "Where are you going? Mermaid!" Leta's voice grew louder and louder in desperation as Meredith showed no signs of slowing. "HEYYYYY!" Leta finally shouted.

Meredith stumbled to a stop and half-turned around. "WHAT? I need to go. This is a major emergency!"

Leta's heart was thumping. She was so curious. She wanted to join in, Perhaps there was some way for her to help on whatever emergency was happening. She ran up to where Meredith stood as she yelled, "Can I go with you?"

Meredith's lips pursed as she glanced at the bright screen on her phone. She slowly brought the phone down and hid it behind her back. "Not this time," she muttered quietly. Her green eyes darted impatiently around, not meeting Leta's disappointed brown eyes. "But you know what? It might be good for us to catch up later. What's your number?" Meredith brought her phone back toward her front and punched in the numbers as Leta said them. "Ok. I really need to go now–" The emphasis was reinforced by the blaring of the phone again. This time it lit up and flashed brightly in the evening sky. Meredith's eyes grew wide again as she stared at her phone. "Call ya later," she quipped before she spun around and was again sprinting down the street with her phone in front of her face. Leta had no idea where Meredith was going, and she suddenly felt unimportant as she considered her options. With no car and no money and no friends, there was no place for her to go explore and no task for her to do. With a sigh, her shoulders slumped and she slowly began to make her way back to her Grandmother's house.

As Leta walked the short distance back to the small home where she was staying, her mind wandered over the various things that had happened to her since she left her mother's home. One mysterious lady at school said she had been trying to keep Leta hidden. Another mysterious gal said the whole school had been trying to expose her. No one had a good reaction to the word "Alphas", except Meredith didn't seem scared. She seemed more interested. Well, she didn't want her documents falling into the wrong hands so that could mean she was scared of them. Or scared of somebody. Maybe Leta should be scared of her. After all, who takes private pictures of someone behind their back? Was she a stalker? Leta had no idea who to trust, and she was feeling that it wasn't just her trust issues coming out. Everything seemed weird and off and Leta soon found herself stomping on her way to the home. There was a mystery here, and she was going to figure it out!