Chapter 15

I had the notebook in my hand, and I was more than ready to run out of the small gazebo with it. I didn't intend to run very far away, but just far enough to give me some space to look through it. I don't know who this girl was, but she seemed to know something about Augustus. Considering the things he told me, well, I know that I needed answers. And I'm guessing I needed answers more than she did. Hopefully this little notebook would have some!

But as I prepared to leap down the four steps that led up to the gazebo, a large picture blew by my face. My body stilled and my jaw dropped as I saw a very clear picture of me sleeping next to Augustus on my grandmother's living room floor. How in the world had that been photographed?

As I was wondering about possible answers to this disturbing question, there was a weird, garbled throat sound behind me before I was shoved from behind. Luckily I got my hands out in front of me before I collided with one of the support beams, but my hands rubbed against the weathered wood, and it didn't feel too pleasant. The metal binding of the notebook pressed against my palm as I held onto the book, and I could feel it scratch me too. But I held onto the sucker.

"Woops. Sorry!" the girls shouted back at me as she chased down the picture floating away.

I regained my balance and inspected my hands for damage when I saw her charging back up the stairs. She raised the picture triumphantly. "Got it," she said, with a bright smile. Her multicolored hair was like neon lights in the sun. The outer layer was a deep ash brown, but underneath were splashes of hot pink and robin egg blue. As I was busy examining the many colors, she swiped her notebook back from my grip.

"It's not nice to steal, you know," she scolded before going back to her purple box of treasures. "If any of this had been lost? Ooooo-we." She paused and whistled, shaking her head slowly as she tidied everything up and sealed it away. She placed the box on her lap, rubbing the lid in an oddly lovingly way. "Let's just be glad I recovered it all. We certainly don't want this falling into the wrong hands. No we don't."

"I'm sorry. We?" I wanted to look around and see who else she could be talking about, but just in case she was a psycho and she was talking about herself in the plural, well, I didn't want to take my eyes off her. She might attack me. My eyes narrowed. As I thought about it, she kind of had attacked me.

"Uh, yeah," she said, shaking her head like it was obvious. "You," she pointed her box at me, "and me," she brought the box back to her. "Weeeeeee should totally join forces. I bet we could take all the Alphas on."

I felt like my chest exploded with hope. "You know what an Alpha is?" I could barely breathe I was so excited. I mean, first I heard about them. And then I get to meet someone who knew what they were. "I was totally going to do some research on them, and then...." My voice trailed off as I tried to remember. What had happened to my plan to do research? I bit my lip and tried to think back. I had my plan, and my camera, and I—

"And then you were in an accident. I saw it all from school. It was such a lucky time to be on a bathroom break. I was able to sneak out unnoticed and get up close and personal. I saw it all."

My jaw dropped for a second time. "The accident. You saw the accident?"

"Yeah, I saw it. Hm. Ok, kind of saw it. I was following someone, and then he went over to the window, and so I looked out a different window to see what he was looking at, and then I saw the accident. Totally scary. I'm glad you're alright though!" She shot another bright smile at me before her eyes narrowed and she started to frown. "You are alright, are you? I know what he did to you." She paused and I could see her thinking. "I know he did something to you. They did it to another girl, and no one has seen her since. This is why I was so excited to talk to you. We could help each other."