(1) 4: Shiori's Breaking Point

Book 1, Chapter 4 :

" Shiori's Breaking Point "

It was still pretty early into the night, and Shiori woke up to the sounds of cursing, and what sounded like glass breaking. Slowly she opened her eyes, blinking a few times to wake herself up completely, then raised up in her bed as she heard her foster father shouting, followed by her mother yelping. "Huh? What's going on??" she asked herself quietly. "He must be hurting mom again!"

Quickly Shiori got out of bed, and quietly snuck out of her room, and down the stairs. Inching closer to the kitchen where all the noise was coming from. She carefully peaked around the corner of the door way, and her eyes widened at the site of her mother being pinned over the sink, her husband right behind her with his fist clenched tightly in her hair. She had blood running down her forehead, cheeks and mouth. There were dishes broken in the floor, with food on them. That was when Shiori remembered her mom was making her some dinner, and she had fallen asleep while waiting. Her breathing became ragged, and she quickly tried to regain control of it so she wouldn't be noticed. She watched in horror as her foster mom was crying in fear and in pain.

"Why do you show that beast so much love and compassion? I let her stay only because you seemed to grow attached to her, but now it MAKES ME SICK." Her foster father shouted to her mom. "I can't stand seeing you give that little bitch love! She is a monster!"

Shiori felt tears swell up in her eyes, and as they ran down her face, she continued to listen and watch this horrible scene.

"Either she goes, or I will." He growled.

Shiori watched as her mom responded, "Ngh..... Shiori.... May not be my child by blood.... But.... She is MINE.... She is MY daughter.... And I love her..... You are the monster, Hanzo!" she shouted back with tears pouring down her face.

Shiori flinched at her foster mothers' words, and that was when she cried, as silently as possible.

"So.... I choose Shiori.... I choose my daughter!" her mother declared.

But, Hanzo did not accept it.... He clenched his teeth in anger, as he hissed back "Hina...... I had hoped differently for us... and for you."

And to Shiori's horror, she watched as her foster father raised her mother's head up, and slammed it straight down into the dishes that were in the dish rack by the sink. She felt her heart drop, and skip a beat as she watched her mom's lifeless corpse fall to the floor..... She stared in horror, and then memories of her birth mother came to her mind. Shiori cried out, aloud, which caught her foster 'father's' attention.

Hanzo snapped his head backwards, and locked eyes on Shiori. He knew she had just witnessed him murder his wife, and he lunged at her with a knife. Quickly, Shiori ran towards the front door, but gasped when it was locked, with the chain in place, she knew she didn't have enough time to get to it and get away, so she quickly turned around as soon as she seen her foster father behind her, he swung at her, but she dived under his legs and sprinted as fast as her legs could carry her up the stairs and to her room. She slammed the door shut behind her, but not fast enough, as Hanzo's hand had jammed into the door. Shiori gasped, and screamed in terror, but continued to push with all the strength she had on the door. Hanzo slowly began to push the door open, and Shiori glanced up at his face, scared to death. She raised her hand and cried out "GET AWAY!!!!" as she slashed at him with her right hand.