(1) 3: Abuse

Book 1, Chapter 3 :

" Abuse "

Morning time came, and Shiori woke up in the same spot that she had laid down on the floor. She pushed herself up off the floor and listened for any noises outside of her room. It was quiet, so she opened the door and walked across the hall to the bathroom, where she cleaned off and got ready to go to the academy. She heard noises coming from the kitchen, so she assumed her mom was making some breakfast.

Once she was clean and had her hair fixed decent, she walked back to her room and put on a new set of clothes. It wasn't anything special, just a yellow shirt and a pair of black pants that went a little past her knees with her sandals. She looked to find her hair pin her mother had gave her, but couldn't find it anywhere. She figured she must have lost it when those bullies had assaulted her the day before. It made her angry, and she sighed sadly since she really liked it and it meant something to her.

When she walked into the kitchen, she expected to see her mother's warm smiling face, but instead was face to face with her foster father. Her eyes widened and she felt her body stiffen, right where she stood as she stared at him. "Where's mom?" she thought to herself.

Suddenly he noticed Shiori's presence, and he turned to look at her, eyes filled with hatred and resentment. "What is it, girl?" he may as well have spat it out.

"I was looking... for mom..." she barely spoke out.

"What was that?" he raised his voice.

"Um..." but before she could speak he'd walked up to her and slapped her hard across the face.

"You look me in the eyes and speak up, do you hear me?!" he shouted. "You're living in MY house, under MY roof, eating MY food, living off of ME you little shit!"

Shiori flinched and looked up at him in fear, expecting him to strike again, or even give her another beating; since she had avoided one last night. She froze from the fear, and stayed silent; too afraid to answer him.

"Tsk! FORGET IT. Your 'mom' has gone out to run some errands for me." He retorted, and sarcastically said the word 'mom'.

"Uhh... ngh." Shiori looked down sadly.

"Now, get the hell out of here. Don't you have to go to the academy? Go on!!" Her foster father yelled while raising his hand towards the door.

Shiori didn't hesitate, and immediately obeyed as she hurried out the door.

Normally she ran into Rin on her way to the academy, but this time she had taken a different route, just because she didn't want to face Rin while she was this upset. She was fortunate to be alive, and to have a good foster mother like she had, but she hated her foster father with a passion. These thoughts led to thinking about her real parents'. Which led to the memory of seeing her mother being murdered right in front of her eyes. She felt hot tears start to form in her eyes, and clenched her eyes tightly as she shook her head, trying to keep from crying and pushing those thoughts out of her mind.