Chapter 32

Chapter 32

The night was still and long, but not so dark. Aurora lights danced across the clear night skies in vibrant greens, pinks and reds. The moon shone big and bright, lighting up the streets with a lunar glow. People walked the streets even now, so soon after the battle. The street lighting had been damaged severely, with only one in ten lights still working, but the neon glows from shop windows and signs were enough to aid the moon and the auroras to brighten up the city.

Rogan stood on top of one of the military barricades that had been set up in the streets. Soldiers still patrolled the wall and the catwalks above. They knew that the war hadn’t ended and that there were still plenty of Hadi and Imperials left. The battle had been won, but the war was still to rage on. But for how much longer? Jore is dead, the majority of the Imperial forces are gone... But, Curr...  Rogan thought to himself as he stood with his arms crossed while he watched eight Armoured Personnel Carriers roar as they hovered their way up the road. Teran, Vrik, Karem, Vladimir and Garen were all sitting on the roof of the first vehicle with some of their men. The other cars were just as overflowed, with soldiers having to sit on the roofs.

The carriers pull up just in front of the gate. Rogan gazed down on the soldiers that had volunteered to go with Teran to fight against Inquisitor Dalen Curr. “No man that doesn’t want to go will have to. This is an extremely dangerous mission... One I am reluctant to approve of. So, only those whom wish to volunteer may go. I will not force anyone,” is what he’d said to all the soldiers of all the companies a mere three hours ago. No one knew what their High-General was talking about, he hadn’t said anything on what the mission could be... that was when Teran and his four companions stepped up to the dial.

“We have lost many in the last twenty-four hours, and now one of my friends, Sura, is moving against Dalen Curr,” Teran had said. Vrik had followed, saying, “Some of you know her, some of you don’t. We are going after her: to save her, and kill Dalen Curr. Will any of you join us?”

For a long while there was nothing but hushed whispers as the soldiers  considered what was being asked of them. They had just survived a major battle, they were not looking forward to fighting in another one so soon. The first one to step forward and raise her hand to go was the female commando that had helped Vladimir and Garen when they had escaped their forest base. The base Jore had descended upon. Garen smiled at her as she stepped up, “Glad to have you with us,” he told her. After the first person the entire remnants of Valiance Company rose to their feet as they signed up for the mission. Each one of them willing to follow the men that had led them to many victories in the past. Some others from other companies stood up as well, but not many. Most of them didn’t see the point of going to battle for just one person – one that none of them really knew. But Valiance was enough for Teran, he would have gone even if had just been himself.

And now here Rogan was, standing on top of a wall watching as the last of the Zeuti Guardians and their company left the city to go after Sura. Klair and Gaia stood next to him. Klair wore a sad, yet glad, smile on her face as she stared down at Karem. Teran glanced at Karem for a moment, he couldn’t put his finger on it but he could tell something had changed in him within the last few hours.  For one thing; Karem was actually smiling, and, also, he seemed to have a kind of glint in his eye. He wondered what had happened to make him change. If there was one person who was brooding over something it was Vladimir. Vrik had brought it up to Teran that he’d seen Vladimir muttering to himself and getting really worked up. Something was eating at him, and each time he looked at Garen, Vlad’s face would turned into a small snarl. But Teran had thought that it was best to leave it. After all, Vladimir would have brought it up if he’d wanted to talk about it.