Chapter 8

Chapter 8

The five Zeuti Guardians were standing in a large puddle of water that had been created by the storm, it reflected the brightness of the lightning flashing over head as more rain continued to fall on them. The force of the torrent of rain was intense, it felt as though they were being pelted by a constant hail of small stones. The Guardians stood in the heavy shower as they faced off with their enemy. Everything around them was wet and soggy and the air in the jungle seemed to be filled with a thick humidity, making it hard to breath in this lush tropical rain forest. The sounds of thousands of water droplets dripping from leaf to leaf and from the branches to the ground and gale force winds seemed to drown any other sound that could have been present.

Going by Earth Standard Time it was a little past midnight, and on this planet the nights were long, hot and very dark. However, fate proved to them that they had some luck at least, even if it seemed as if it was only a little; because if they had been in the jungle, under the trees, it would have been pitch black and they wouldn’t have been able to see a thing. Fortunately, the modest portion of space between the trees and the small cliff gave enough sky-way to let the two small moons shine blue light down on them.  The two moons orbited the planet together, and reflected the light from the blue binary suns of the system. Even though they had the light from the moons shining on them, it was still quite dark, but it was light enough to be able to see the black armour clad Hadi warriors.

The five Guardians stood motionless as they stared at their five ruthless and menacing foes, other than Sura whom shifted her weight from one foot to the other. She was clearly uncomfortable facing such an intimidating enemy.

The Hadi’s red and orange stormswords lit up the area when they were activated. Shadows of the dark warriors danced over the trees that lay at their backs. The dark silhouettes dancing against the trees as the lightning on their stormswords fluctuated, making the light around them almost pulsate. But they stood still, never moving even an inch from their positions, as they waited for their Zeuti rivals to make their move.

Teran let out a deep breath, stretched his arms, and then he yawned loudly as he reached under his clothes to pull out both of his own stormswords and activated them. He stepped forward a little, putting some space between himself and his friends. He partly glanced back at them, giving them a nod to tell them to get a move on. It took them a second to respond but they started to edge their way towards the forest. The Hadi saw what they were trying to do and made a move, quickly moving towards the group that was trying to leave; they did not want anyone to escape. But, Teran moved fast as well, bringing himself to a stop between the team of Hadi and his friends as the young fighter held his ground and blocked their path.

“You’re not going to leave before letting me have some fun are you?” Teran mocked with a grin. He turned his stormswords to the side, making them level with one another. With some force, he pushed the ends of the hilts together, connecting them and making them into a single weapon. His storm-staff, as he liked to call it, was simply both of his swords connected at the ends of the hilts.

Teran learned to fight with his double bladed weapon as a means to fight more than one of his class mates at a time, back when he was a learner. He was good with it. The weapon proved to be a better defence when fighting two or more opponents with stormswords, though he had to rely more on his senses than his sight for it to work well. Around him, the rain died down to a light shower, making it easier for him to see his foes.

His eyes were focused intently on his dark enemies. Teran started to make his way towards them, walking at first before picking up speed until breaking into full blown charge.