Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Teran found the bowl of soup on the side table. It had been there for some time, he judged by the temperature. Still, when he had woken he was hungry and spooned it down slowly. He still felt weak and light headed. The drips he had attached to his arm had been enough to sustain him for the last couple of days, while he was out, but after not having something solid in him, it made his head spin.

Teran swirled the soup around in his bowl, occasionally spooning in some of the meat or vegetables. He found himself wishing he had more food in the bowl than there was, it was mostly flavoured water. After he had eaten he sat back in his bed and waited for his body to regain some strength. The nurse came and went twice in the time, the first time she brought him some juice to drink and the second, at his request, brought him some food that wasn’t soup.

It was still some hours after waking until he had gained the strength to remove the drips and get out of bed. As the cold marble of the floor sent shivers through his feet he realised that he wasn’t in his normal clothing. His robes had been laid out on the chair at the end of his bed. Once they were on he noticed that they were still torn and shredded, but at least they smelt clean and felt well washed.

 Teran walked out of his room, the hospital ward was still very busy with nurses and doctors running around between patients. Though, he noted that there weren’t as many wounded here as he thought there would have been. He knew that most of those who suffered light injuries, or any which weren’t too serious, would have been able to simply get some restoration gel slapped on them and been able to leave in a few hours. Even so there were many and more soldiers whom were seriously hurt, a greater number than he would have liked to see. Teran didn’t doubt that whatever he may be able to see in this part of the ward, there would be twice or three times as many spread out between other medical facilities.

One of the nurses regarded him suspiciously as he made his way for the exit, he smiled and nodded at her. She watched him as he left and then went back to whatever task was at hand. Tec walked down the hall, slowly as to not send any jolts up his body and wash a wave of pain pounding through his head. After an eye cringingly slow walk through the palace he came upon the throne room, he found the doors open. There weren’t many people inside, only a handful of guards and a few of the important Kalorian nobles. He watched Vrik grin widely when he noticed him walk into the room, Teran was surprised to see that Vrik was the only Zeuti there. Rogan whispered something in the Queen’s ear, she nodded and he lightly tapped Vrik with the back of his hand, then walked down towards Teran.

“Teran, it’s good to see you up and about, finally. How do you feel?” Rogan asked as he approached. His hand was extended as he closed the distance.

Tec smiled and clasped the High-General’s hand in a firm shake, despite how he felt, “Not bad. So, I’ve been told we won.” Vrik nodded, though somewhat sullenly. Teran swallowed hard, “Vrik, at the end of the fight against Jore... I thought I saw...” he trailed off as he tried to clear his head and remember exactly what he saw.

Vrik sighed and made a sad smile, “Let’s go somewhere a little more comfortable. We should bring you up to speed with what’s been going on.” Vrik led them out of the large room and into a small office a little distance down the hallway.

The three of them settled into a few seats. The door was closed so that they could have some privacy.  Vrik rubbed his head and brushed his fingers through his hair, “If you thought you saw Baron Durr leap from the ledge above us... then you weren’t dreaming. That crazy son of a bitch was still alive...”

“Was?” As Teran asked the question, the image of Baron on the ground with a chunk out of his side flashed before his eye. “Oh, right... he, he died and took Ses out with him.”