Chapter Twenty-Six; Down We Go. [Edited]

It feels like I've been hit over the head by something very heavy. Or perhaps the world has exploded beneath my feet and I'm floating suspended in open space, doomed to drift forever into nothingness.

Chaim wrenches out of Rosamund's grip, and I watch in utter silence as he rushes towards me. Coal, upon seeing my utter lack of response, laughs and reaches out to grab the child.

Chaim goes wild, hollering, kicking, biting. Struggling to get to me.

Why, I wouldn't know. I abandoned him. I went looking everywhere except here. The most obvious place. I assumed he'd moved on, wandering around looking for me, or had made a companion out of a fellow tribute. I didn't think to take into account that he was a child, and would stay in one place, as only a scared child would.

Of course Coal found him.

I've never been so disgusted and horrified with myself.

"Are you all right?" I ask him. My voice is a croak.

He tries to speak, blue eyes wide as dinner plates, but Coal talks loudly over him. "I looked after him, Emerald! Just like she told me to. Just like she knew you'd want. Very clever, very clever, she is."

My mind is so focused on Chaim I barely notice my mad cousins babbling.

"I've been here, Emerald, I waited." He tells me, his voice thick with tears and high-pitched with panic. "I waited for you, I did. Just like you said."

"You're not to blame," I tell him, trying to be as reassuring as I possibly can. "It's not your fault, all right?"

"He was a damn idiot, didn't even run when he saw me coming." Coal laughs, hands clamping down hard on his shoulders. Chaim winces.

"Don't touch him." I growl immediately, rising up on one knee. Crimson drives a fist into my sternum, and I go down again gasping.

"You're telling me not to touch him?" Coal sneers, "I've been caring for him. Providing for him. Keeping him safe. I've been doing the job you were supposed to be doing, my dear. You promised."

"I know, I know I did." I'm speaking directly to Chaim, begging him with my eyes to understand, begging his forgiveness. "I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry, Chaim."

His lip wobbles dangerously.

"You left me." There is accusation in his young eyes, and something in my chest snaps like a rubber band stretched too taut. I have failed him, failed him so completely that I will never again feel anything but disgust for myself.

There is nothing for me to say. I think he sees my despair, my utter misery at what I've done to him, at how I've let him down. The accusation and anger dies a little in his eyes, and he offers me a wisp of a smile. A small forgiveness, I suppose.

"All right, I'm getting bored." Coal rolls his eyes and shoves Chaim forward.

His knees connect with the ground hard, but he doesn't waste a moment before scrambling up and lunging for me. I stand, shoving Crimson away from me in the process so I can catch Chaim and wrap my arms tight around his skinny shoulders. He presses his face tight against my ribs and bunches his fists into the material at my hips. He holds on so tightly his knuckles shine white.

"It's all right," I murmur to him, dipping my head so I'm speaking against his mop of dark hair. "We're going to get out of this, okay? I'm never leaving you again."

"Okay." He doesn't make me promise, probably because he knows I'm bad at keeping those.

"Now, I want to know what's the deal with you." Coal points in Peeta's direction.