Chapter Nine; Wishing You Luck. [Edited]

"Last day," Lux raises his eyebrows as I join him at the refreshments table to grab a bottle of water. "What will you do?"

"Wounds, today." I nod to the empty station. I've done everything there is to be done, at least tried my hand at each one for a little while. Where people are playing catch up because they've spent too much time learning how to use a sword, I now have my pick of the lot.

The trainers are more than willing to help me. They're mostly leftover trainers from the Capitol, and they all agree with what I said in the interview. Not because they love the Games; most of them detest this job, but they hate 13 and their reign of terror more than they do the memory of the Capitol.

Lux nods faintly, and turns to a knot tying station. He turns back after a moment.

"I do want to be your ally in the arena, Emerald." He says, his blue eyes are uneasy, darting every which way. "If you want to team up, I'll do it. I should have brought it up before, but I just... I thought it would be better for us not to be together, so then I don't have to watch..."

"Watch me die." I nod. "I understand, but I think we'll be better as a team."

"All right." He blows out a breath, looking a little relieved. "I'll find you tomorrow."

"Yeah, sure."

I make my way over to a medical station. She shows me how to deal with all sorts, from stab wounds to dehydration to infections. I try to commit it all to memory, but my worry about the coming day is causing things to slip through the cracks. She's patient, but after about an hour I feel panicked that I'm not taking in more, so I promise to return later and after I've visited other important stations.

For me, the survival stuff is way more important. I build a fire, I identify poisonous plants, I disinfect water and dig it up from the ground, I skin a squirrel and learn which parts to eat and what to throw away.

I don't bother going to the hand to hand station again. I suck at archery. I'm not bad with a spear, but because I'm so small handling them is awkward. Like I suspected, I absolutely destroy the knives station.

I have a go again there, and the trainer nods proudly as I hit every single target with a flick of my wrist. This is the day to show off too, I guess; we're being scored tonight. I stay there until lunch, feeling assured that at least I am good at this.

Waving away Lux's invitation to his table, I pile my plate high and sit on my own. I just need time to think. This week has been full of cramming every single morsel of information I can into my brain, and right now my mind feels absolutely blank.

Astrid has barely left me alone this past week, prone to weeping at the smallest of triggers, but Birch has barely uttered a word to me. He has been up to something though; I hear him sneaking past my room at night, and he's not there for breakfast, and only just gets back in time for dinner. I wonder if he's got a girlfriend, but I don't care enough to question him.

"Emerald." Chaim slides into the chair opposite me, and I'm about to tell him I want to be on my own before I look up and notice that he is close to tears.

"What's wrong?" I demand, "Was it Coal?" I'm already on my feet and ready to fly over before Chaim shakes his head.

"No." He sniffles, and wraps his skinny arms around his stomach. "No, it's just-" He scrubs a tear away. "I'm just frightened, for tomorrow."

I deflate, sinking back into my chair. "So am I."

"But you... You're good at stuff! I'm not good at anything." His head of black hair droops in defeat, and suddenly I'm furious all over again that he is here.