Chapter Ten; Let the Games Begin! [Edited.]

I take extra long in the shower, knowing it will be my last one for weeks. I use about fifteen different soaps to the point where it makes my stomach roll with the smells, and then I shampoo and condition my hair three times over. By the end of it, I smell like a sweet shop and my hair is the softest it has ever been.

The clothes that Astrid has left out for me is a simple set of underwear, loose cotton trousers and a loose button down shirt, with a pair of canvas shoes made for comfort. I'm guessing this is what I'll travel in, and thinking it won't matter much, I wrap a plush blanket around my shoulders to saver the warmth of this luxurious life. I'm sure I'll soon be shivering in a cold wasteland or something.

I stuff as much as I possibly can into my mouth at breakfast. Bacon, poached eggs on buttered toast, thin pancakes covered in lemon and sugar, mini chocolate muffins, waffles drizzled in syrup, grapes, oranges, cereal made entirely of sugar. I wash it all down with sweetened tea and a glass of pure orange juice.

Birch sits at the table, but for once he is not eating. In fact, his face looks a little bit grey, and I wonder if he was up late last night drinking.

When it is time for us to leave, Astrid stands silently and motions to the door. Birch stands too and I'm surprised at even that small show of respect. He stares at me for a long moment, the scar that stretches over one side of his face twitches.

"Goodbye then." I tell him.

He dips his head, but he doesn't reply. Thatcher and Marie stand in the corner, and I look towards the two of them as Astrid leads me, too choked up to speak, to the elevator.

I step into it, turn, and when my eyes find Marie, she takes a step forward, eyes full of tears, face full of anguish, she reaches for me silently, but Thatcher is there to pull her firmly back.

No one says a word as the doors slide close, and I say a silent final farewell to all three of them as Astrid and I glide smoothly upwards towards the roof.

*****

"More water." Astrid orders, nodding to the jug on the table laden with food. I pour a glass and take sips of it. We've been in here for half an hour, and the hovercraft that brought us in was in the air for a good two hours.

We're in the waiting room. Is it called that? I'm not sure. It's just a room, four stone walls with stone floors and ceiling, and this is where Astrid will dress me for the last time, before I'm to step into the glass cylinder in the corner, and there I will be lifted up into the arena.

Astrid is unravelling my clothes from a box that they sit in.

"Hmm," She runs the fabric between her fingers. "These are all made of wool and goose down. They'll provide good insulation, so there's no deserts or jungles this year. Not thick enough to suggest you'll be on a snowy mountain or anything like that either. It looks like hiking gear; Sturdy boots, thick trousers with lots of pockets, long sleeved thermal shirt, and a good, strong jacket that's lined with nomex, which means it's fire-resistant."

"I know what nomex is." I roll my eyes. She's speaking as if I'm not heavily invested in fashion.

She ignores me. "I'd say forests, mild weather. This will all keep you cool in the day and insulate you at night. But then, it might be an industrial setting, something like that."

"I'll figure it out when I'm up there." I shake my head, I just need a few moments peace to calm myself.

I'm in much need of that calming too; The glass of water is rattling in my hand. I hastily put it down.

Astrid sighs and crosses over to me, wrapping me up in her skinny arms and pulling me into her chest. This is hard for her, I know. I think I might be the closest thing she'll ever have to a daughter, and now she must lose me.