Chapter Twenty-Seven: Unleash Hell

"I saw ladders, going up the side of the wall. That's obviously how there were people shooting from atop it earlier, before the monsters broke through the wall. If we can get up there, it'll make getting to a different part of Dundee so much easier, right?" I tell the others. They're all silent for a minute, as though they're all thinking about my suggestion. And then, Alex speaks up.

"Where were they, these ladders?" He looks more alert than before, as though my plan has finally given him something to look towards. His brown eyes are wide, staring, and he's less defeated-looking than he was just a few minutes ago. I can hardly say the same for the others, though.

"Right next to the hole." Alex's face drops suddenly at that, until he's frowning, his eyes dull and lifeless again. Still, I go on. "If we can get up there, we can-"

"Oh, hell no. No one's risking their life here, not again, We've already lost Frenchy." Barrone tells me firmly, almost scowling. "We'll travel on the gorund, take shelter in buildings at night. Travel by rooftops if we need to. It's safer than pushing someone unconscious up a ladder," he glances over at Crilly, who is still out cold, "and in case you've forgotten, we were just in a crash..."

I grip the hammer in both of my hands, gritting my teeth as Barrone continues to talk. I glance towards the flap of dull-green material covering the back of the van, and then, with one deep breath, I push up to my feet, diving out of the back of the van and hitting the damp, muddy grass in a full-out sprint. My legs move quickly, my feet pounding against the wet grass as I move quiickly towards the wall, keeping my attention fixed solely on the ladder. Seconds drag by like minutes as I approach the ladder, the sound of screeches and screams filling my ears as monsters run towards me. I reach out, grabbing the rain-slicked metal ladder, shooting up each rung like there's no tomorrow - which, if these monsters get me, there won't be. My limbs are aching, screaming in agony, as I get to the top, and I clamber onto the wall. The sound of the monsters below are distant echoes from up here, and I shiver as rain batters down on top of the wall. Two thin, low barriers create somewhat of a "secure" environment, and I anxiously begin moving along the wall, eyes darting around me as I study my surroundings. Inside the wall, the urban sprawl that is Dundee pans out for miles ahead of me. and I can see the monsters crawling into the city through the gigantic hole in the wall below me. I can see the small army vehicle on the ground, and the others all quickly dashing towards the wall, obviously planning to follow me, looking just like tiny ants from up here. Outside the wall is just a thick expanse of nothing, as far as the eye can see. And, dotted across this nothing, are thousands of horrible, flesh-hungry monsters. I shudder, and slip the shotgun out of my belt as I see PJ surface at the top of the ladder.

"What are you, an idiot!" He exclaims. "You could have gotten yourself - and the rest of us, too - killed!"

"But I bet I didn't, right?" I toss him his shotgun, and he catches it quickly in his right hand, still frowning deeply at me.

"No, you didn't." He sighs in defeat. "But that's not the point!" I can see Crilly's unconscious form being flopped onto the wall behind PJ, and Jim grunting and tugging himself up after him - I resist the urge to smirk at the bizzarre sight.

"Jesus Christ, Leigh, don't run off like that!" Jim exclaims. The others all follow, grubling, the only one complimenting me on my "amazing idea! being Jake, grinning as always despite the situation at hand. 

"This'll get us around Dundee a lot quicker." I tell them. "Come on, we might be able to beat the outbreak if we move now." I begin moving forward, feet slipping slightly against the wet metal surface beneath my feet as I run, and the others follow suit, feet pattering rhythmically as we move across the metal platform. Rain pounds down on the wall, and I can hear monsters groaning and screeching on the gorund below us.