Chapter Three: Scavengers of the Damned

"Come here, you decomposing bastards!" Kier yells, grinning darkly. I hear loud footsteps, rapid and inhumanly quick, and then Drew and Kier are firing down the hallway, towards the creatures.

"Crilly, Pil', stay with Leigh. Get Alex and Chappell and get the fuck out of here!" Laurence commands. I'm glued to the spot, just watching everything play out.

"Aim for the head, you prat!" Drew yells at Kier.

"I am! They're not bloody dying!"

"Then stop wasting bullets!" Barrone yells, rushing out past the doorway and into the hallway. I hear the creatures screeching, loud and shrill, and then hear Barrone yelling profanities at the creatures, before everything goes silent for a moment. During these silent few seconds, Crilly and Pilnahn are tugging at the boards on the windows, trying to make an emergency exit, and Kier is reloading his gun, growling to himself.

"There's more in the basement. Barrone, Drew, Kier," Laurence looks towards the three men in turn, "we'll grab Sam and Scott, get them to help us hold back this lot. Jake'll grab some supplies, with Pil' and Chappell to help. Crilly, you and Alex'll get Leigh the hell out of here, find where the others are. Head to the next town, and wait there for us. Worst comes to the worst, I'll wait behind for the others to come back."

And then, just as I hear more loud screeches and pattering footsteps, Crilly and Pilnahn finally remove the board from the window, and motion for me to slip through the small gap. I do so with great difficulty, unable to stop shaking with terror as I slip out into the dreary early-morning light.

"Alex! Sam! Jake! Chappell! Scott! Out here, now!" Laurence yells. Crilly slips out after me, much more graceful and practised than I as he drops to the ground and positions himself in a crouch. A few more seconds pass before another figure follows, with brown hair, his fringe spiked up out of his face, and glaring grey eyes.

"Took your time." Crilly grumbles, before pushing to his feet and edging along the wall of the building. I can still hear that horrid screeching, still hear gunshots and yelling, and shudder. The other male with Crilly and I wipes a smear of blood away from his cheek, making me shudder again as I think about how much more blood is being spilled in that house.

"Well, I was bloody resting. My turn to, eh?"

"Don't care. You just...eugh. Let's get out of here." Crilly pokes his head around the corner of the building, standing up straight, and then grimaces. "Guess we'll be running. Bloats're 'round there."

"Great!" The man following us groans.

"Shut it, Alex." Crilly grumbles. "I don't want to have to shoot myself in the fuckin' head to escape your whining."

"Well, you keep saying you want to go out with a bang, right?" Alex smirks. Despite the seriousness of the situation, I can't help but laugh slightly, and Alex shoots me a grin, whilst Crilly just tries to hold back a smile.

"Be serious, we're in the middle of a bloody apocalypse." The black-haired man rolls his eyes. "Now, be ready to run. Right down the street, as fast as you can, for as far as you can. There's a town not far from here, called Worlingham, it's about two miles from here. That's where the others went. I'll catch up, I won't be too far behind. Here," he hands me a knife, and I frown down at it. "I don't trust Alex with it."

"I can't use a-" I start, but Alex cuts me off.

"You don't trust me?! Why not?!"

I hear a zombie screech, not far from where we're stood, and grimace.

"Go, now. Before things start to get really ugly. I'll hold them off." Crilly tells us.

"Crilly, d-" Alex starts.