Chapter Seven: Searching For A Home

"You've got to be kidding me!" Lucas exclaims as he stands at the front of the red van, shaking his head incredulously. "Just our bloody luck!"

  "And both vans, too..." Pilnahn frowns. "Kier would know what to do. He was good with the vans.."

  "Well, Kier isn't here anymore." Laurence sounds bitter as he speaks. "So somebody find a bloody way to fix this-"

  "No can do." Crilly saunters over to us, frowning and shaking his head. "They're screwed. Didn't all the smoke give that away?"

  "Shit...guys, we're walking." Laurence ducks back into the red van, and a few moments later surfaces with an unconscious Drew in his arms. "Barrone, here."

  Barrone all-but-runs over to the van, taking Drew in his arms without any struggle, and I see Nico and Falkor muttering between themselves as they snag a box of food each.

  "We're leaving the vans?!" Alex and a dark-brown-haired male screech.

  "Shush! For christ's sake... Sam, control Jake and Alex, will you? They'll attract bloats if they keep at that sh-"

  "Everyone, shut up." Laurence snaps, still pissy and bitter as ever as he cuts Tom off, his eyes red-ringed and raw. "Please, just..." He looks lost for a moment, and I resist the urge to comfort him; Kier's death is hitting him really hard, harder than it seems to have hit everyone else. "Take only what we actually need, like food, blankets, maps. Anything that might slow us down, leave it here." His gaze flickers over to Drew for a moment, although if anyone else notices they don't comment on it. I don't say anything, knowing deep down that he's right; Drew will only slow us down, only make us a target for attacks, and that's what we really don't need.

  "We've got maps, weapons, food, blankets, some bandages..." I see a man with combed black hair and a pale face that I recognise as a man I was introduced to earlier, Jim from the Ashes group, count off each item on his fingers, and then he stops. "Anything else?"

  "I have a torch!" Alex waves a torch around like it's some kind of lethal weapon, smiling, and the dark-brown-haired man, obviously Jake, starts making odd fighting sound effects.

  "Guys. Fucking seriously? No vehicles, we're in an apocalypse, lives are in danger, and you're roleplaying fuckin' Street Fighter?" Ben frowns.

  "Come on. If we have everything, we might as well leave the bloody vans and start travelling on foot." Laurence storms ahead by himself, and everyone follows suit, but I quickly duck into the red van, grabbing a jug of petrol and carrying it in my arms. Barrone and Crilly both hang back to wait for me, and give me an odd look as they see the jug of petrol.

  "Just in case we find a car or something." I inform them; they both nod, and then the three of us start walking.

  "I don't think we'll find any for a while. It's just straight-out countryside for a while." Crilly tells me.

  "Damn. What if we don't get to a town before dark?"

  "We camp out, and take turns to keep look-out." Barrone states.

  "Just like the old days, eh?" Crilly chuckles, and Barrone smiles ever-so-slightly.

  "Yeah. Just like the old days."

  We walk for a while, just talking between ourselves, and then - just our bloody luck - it begins to rain.

  "Great." Crilly grins. "Rain!"

  "You're glad. About rain?" I cock an eyebrow at him, and he nods eagerly.

"  Anything's better than the sun."