Chapter : Two - Forest

Chapter : Two – Forest [Ebony Snow]

I was jumping on the pavement as I saw Cassandra's metallic blue Mercedes-Benz on the horizon. Heading for me. I squealed with joy as, once she'd pulled to a stop in front of me, I yanked on the door to open it and climbed into the dark purple leather seats.

"Excited?" she asked.

"Yes! It's been a month since we've been to the forest!" I grinned as she checked the mirrors and pulled away.

She laughed at my enthusiasm, but it wasn't as loud as it normally was. "How have you been?"

"I hate the City. It's stuffy and it smells."

"Only you would complain in the best part of the City."

"I hate the City, if dad would let me, I'd live in the forest."

"He won't let you?"

"Well, I asked him before Christmas. When he didn't reply, I had wondered."

"And then he got you the penthouse?"

"Yeah. But it's still nothing like the forest," I paused. "God, I sound like such an ungrateful cow, don't I?"

"Not at all. Nature within walls is nothing like the forest."

"Yea..."

We were silent for a moment.

"How is your dad anyway?" Cassandra asked as we left the outskirts of the City. "I heard that he was having some difficulties."

"Yea, he keeps getting either lack of breath or he's breathing too heavily. I have no idea what it is, and he refuses to go to the doctors. He's only forty-eight, so it's not age..."

"Hasn't Laurell tried to take him to the hospital?"

"Ha! She's just hoping that his problems get worse so that he'll die and she can have the company."

"A little harsh?"

"Not really."

Again we went silent. Cass knew of my dislike for Laurell, and sometimes, I swore it was only loyalty that made her give comments like "a little harsh?".

"Why do you work for her Cass?" I asked with a sigh, my excitement gone for the moment.

"Do you really want the truth?" she asked.

Looking over at her as she drove, I wasn't sure that I wanted to know with the way she asked it. She'd asked it with that type of tired sigh that people gave when they didn't want to tell, but were too tired to keep it quiet for much longer.

"Do you like working for her?" I asked instead.

She grimaced at that. "No, and my reason for working for her... well, she's trying to take away the reason."

Just before I went to ask what that reason was, a ding sounded. Immediately, Cass moved to check, I didn't bother, my phone's ringtone and message tone was the same. If I'd only had a ding as my message tone as Cass did, none of my texts would ever be answered. Which reminded me that I hadn't managed to find my phone again after losing it. Again.

Cass frowned at the message she read before shoving her phone back into her jacket pocket.

"Are you okay?"

"Laurell," she said in way of explanation.

"What did she want?"

"She trying to take away my reason."