Chapter 32 - Changed

I fold a few shirts, placing them on the shelf that they belong to. When the shelf is organized, I move on, doing the same to other shelves.

In about an hour, I'll be off of work and on my way home. I've been working since noon and my feet are killing me from standing all day, but it's nothing I can't handle.

A few customers ask me for help and I happily do so, finally reaching my end of the shift. After that, I clock out and head to the exit of the mall. Before I go to my car, I walk over to the chick-fil-a that I love so much, walking in and standing in line. After I order my door and receive it, I sit down at a high table and begin to eat my sandwich.

"Madison?" A familiar voice calls out my name. Instead of turning to see who the person is, I stiffen. I know exactly who it is.

Their footsteps are walking in my direction and I'm hoping they'll just go away and think I'm not me. I don't want him talking to me. Why does he even want to talk to me?

"Maddie!" He says when he comes around me and sees my face. Defeated, I slowly raise my eyes until they meet his.

When I see him, I am shocked. He looks nothing like the last time I saw him. He has changed, and for the most part, it's for the better.

His hair is shorter and pushed more to the side, his ears are pierced, and the tank top he wears shows the unmistakeable bulk of his arms and shoulders. On his right bicep, a tattoo of a lightning bolt is not permanently inked into his skin.

"Skylar," I breathe out as I take in his appearance.

He gives me a half smile as he sits down in front of me. I try to take a read on his expression, but it confuses me. He looks angry, but also happy.

"How have you been?" He asks me, his blue eyes locking with mine. It feels a little awkward to be looking straight at his eyes, but I can't look away. I feel guilty about our break up still.

"I've been doing great," I reply to him, ignoring the food that I was eating. I'd feel awkward if I ate it. "How about you?"

He nods before answering. "I've been alright." He shrugs, his eyes never morning from mine.

We both sit there awkwardly and I can't seem to keep my eyes off of him. He just looks so different with his piercings and tattoo.

"Maddie, I want to apologize," Skylar says, shocking me. I raise my eyebrows, unsure of what he would actually apologize for.

There is a long period of silence that just includes Skylar looking at me and me looking at the ground. It's quite uncomfortable but I refuse to say anything.

"The day we broke up, I was just so...afraid of losing you that when I did, instead of getting sad I got angry. Everything I said, I said out of anger. None of it was the truth. I wish I could take back what I said, but I can't. I wish I could...take you back," he says in one long speech. The entirety of it shocks me, but what shocks me the most is the very last sentance he spoke.

"Skylar, I-" he cuts me off before I have a chance.

"Maddie, I know I can't have you back. I know you're with Kian," he says the last part quietly.

"And you're not...mad about that?" I ask, hoping the answer is no. I don't want to cause another scene.

"I was at first. But you were never really mine, were you?" These words came out softly, the opposite of what I would have expected.

I didn't say anything to him after that statement. What could I say anyway? That I was sorry? That wouldn't fix anything.

"Maddie, I'm not mad at you. I'd actually like to be friends with you if that would be alright," he explains.

I nod, looking away from him. Here he is being mature and polite and I'm acting like I'm five.

I look up to him and smile. "I'd like that."

He gives me a huge smile before he stands up. "I'll just be going. But...can I have a hug?"

I stand up without thinking. When he walks over to me, I wrap my arms tightly around him, giving him a good hug. Then I let go and sit back down, embarrassed that the hug lasted so long. He waves goodbye before leaving the resteraunt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know this chapter is short, but I got across the point I was going for. So here you go:)

I was recently thinking, would any of you guys want to be in like a Kik group convo with me? I think it would be fun for y'all to be in a chat with me so you could ask questions and just talk. Would that be cool? If you want to, PM me and I'll open a room when I get a few people :)

Oh and hey guys, I'm writing a book called destruction! It's the werewolf type book I was talking about! So if you wouldn't mind, go read the prologue! If you like it read the first chapter! Comment your thoughts about it as well!

Thanks to all of my readers who have stuck beside me and my writing. I love you all so much.

No numbers today because I can't ask anything that won't give the next chapter away >:)

Comment what you think!

xox -Delilah