"Sorry"

Marinette, for once, woke up early. She was wide awake, brushing her hair with delicacy, choosing her clothes (a flowery sundress) with care, and actually ate a good breakfast (of course, sneaking Tikki a bite). Even with all that used time, and needing to safely carry the roses with her, she made it to class before anyone else. She set down the vase, simple but elegant, and sat down, thinking of what Adrien would say to her.

---

Adrien was having the opposite luck. Yes, he woke up early, but that was because he was up 2 hours before school started. He made sure to hide his grogginess and anxiety for the upcoming day with a well rehersed smile. Plagg didn't ask for any cheese, and instead rooted for him to keep her unakumatizable. He gave it to him anyway, hearing a small rumble it the god's stomache (he hadn't eaten much since remembering the "Unfriendly Ladybug" incident). He arrived at school before Nino, or really many, many other people, which was good. Who knows how people would take a famous model walking into school with a bunch of yellow roses.

He stepped into class to find a perky Marinette sitting alone.

With a vase full of pink and white flowers.

No, roses. With a red ribbon around their center.

He watched her eyes catch the yellow bouquet in his hands, and saw her smile fall.

This was not going well, and he was 3 seconds in.

Crud.

---

She sat up straight when she saw the boy with golden hair walk into the room before anyone else. She smiled widely, only for her eyes to fall on a certain bunch of yellow roses in his hand, tied together with a golden ribbon.

Roses she recognized from the flower store.

Words echoed in her head. 'Yellow roses symbolize friendship and warmth. Very different than your choice,' the words spoken from Louis, who was very knowledgeable about flowers and their meanings.

He was the one who ordered them. He decided to reject her at the same time she went to get him a gift.

'Wait, wait,' her mind ordered. 'He might not know what they mean. He might think that yellow is a wonderful color to give me.'

Her reassurance was unrewarding.

"I- um.. S-sorry, Marinette. I, ah..."

The small sliver of hope remaining left her heart.

---

"I- um.. S-sorry, Marinette. I, ah..."

'What?! You practiced this!' he cleared his throat. "I.. Read your letter. It was really sweet, kind, and thoughtful, and it really meant a lot to me. I realize that you like me a lot, and this has deeply changed how I view things."

He tore his eyes off the ground, forcing himself to look at her face, which was void of any emotion except saddness. That's not good.

"Wh-what I mean to say is, you.. You're a wonderful, smart, creative, witty, intriguing girl, and I would most definitely like you if... If I didn't already like someone else. I'm.. I'm sorry. I really am. You should fall in love with someone who can get over someone like.. Like who I like, and have you instead. Someone who actually likes them." His eyes dropped again, and he held out the flowers, scared to see what expression she held. "Could we... Could we stay friends? Please?"