• Chapter 28 •

The sky was grey

The sky was grey. Not the foggy grey, or the rainy grey, but ashy grey. The sky was covered in these floating particles that looked like it had just snowed. Rose had only seen snow once, just in the form of a light dusting that covered the flowers on her balcony. But this was different. Rose was walking in an open field between Highgarden and King's Landing. The region was filled with high cliffs and a lake to the side. The ash falling from the sky covered everything, wagons, dead horses, slaughtered men. Rose made her way toward the vast lake that faced the direction of King's Landing. The water wasn't clear, it was a dark blue, almost black. She could see her dust ridden face staring back at her when she looked down. Suddenly, not too far off the shore, something shot up from the water, not moving at all. Rose squinted her eyes, trying to make out what it could be. The object was coming closer, almost as it was being pushed toward her. Once the object was almost to shore, Rose realized it wasn't an object, but it was a man. A man clad in Lannister armor. Rose quickly entered the shallow water and pulled the body out, turning it over quickly in hopes that they were still alive. When she turned it over she realized that this wasn't just any man, it was Jaime. His skin was pale and there was no heart beat, he was dead. Rose held her hand to his face, not believing what she is seeing.
"No no no no no! Someone help! Please!" Rose screamed for help but when she looked up everyone was gone.
"Help! No Jaime, please, don't be dead."
Rose didn't even realize she started sobbing before she felt the tears roll down her neck. She lent over and grasped his lifeless body in a tight embrace before screaming in agony.
"Rose!" She could hear someone trying to call her.
"Rose!"

     Rose shot up from her bed and looked around in a panic. She was dripping in sweat and her heart was racing.
"Rose, are you alright?"
She looked to the voice and saw Tyrion standing beside her bed. Rose breathed in and out for a second before wiping her eyes from the tears.
"I'm fine."
Tyrion looked to Rose sympathetically, knowing that she was certainly not fine.
"Did you have another nightmare?" He asked her and she shrugged.
"It felt so real. There was nothing I could do. I-I just held him in my arms and screamed for help."
"It wasn't real, so there is nothing to worry about." Tyrion assured her.
Rose accepted the assurance that Tyrion had given her and Tyrion excused himself. This wasn't the first time Tyrion had been the one to wake her from her night terrors. The first one occurred three months into their stay in Meereen. It was always the same situation, Rose was alone, no one to help, and she couldn't save Jaime. That's what hurt her the most, that even her own consciousness couldn't save Jaime from anything.

     The next day it stormed again, going on the third day of complete rain. But the only thing Rose was looking forward to was Olenna finally arriving at Dragonstone. Missandei and Grey Worm escorted Rose to the beach where she would greet her grandmother and the last living relative she had. She was overwhelmed with emotion, as she hadn't seen her grandmother in over two years, and never got to have a formal goodbye. Rose left a very vague letter, just in case someone ever found it, and it broke her heart to leave her beloved grandmother like that. Rose could see a boat slowly rowing closer and closer and realized it was Olenna. Once the boat docked and Olenna was out of it, Rose ran and embraced her grandmother tightly.
"I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry." Rose repeated to her and Olenna just cooed and told her it was ok.
"It's my fault, Father, Margaery, and Loras are dead. Cersei did it because of me."
Olenna pulled back and looked Rose in the eyes.
"What happened to them is not your fault. Cersei is mad, she killed them because she wanted to. Because they are enemies to the crown and she despised Margaery. Don't give Cersei what she wants."

"Cersei always gets what she wants."

     It was late now and the storm was still raging on. Members of Daenerys' small council and the Greyjoy's, Ellaria Sand, and Olenna Tyrell, stood around the craved table map of Westeros. Rose stood next to Dany on the right across from Tyrion and Yara Greyjoy next to her. They were arguing strategy but it quickly moved into who they should trust.
"If we turn the dragons loose, tens of thousands will die in the firestorms." Tyrion explained to the council.
"It's called war. If you don't have the stomach for it, scurry back into hiding." Ellaria shot back at Tyrion, anger hanging on every word.
"I know how you wage war. We don't poison little girls here. Myrcella was innocent."
"She was a Lannister. There are no innocent Lannisters. My greatest regret is that Oberyn died fighting for you."
"That's enough! Lord Tyrion is Hand of the Queen, you will treat him with respect. I am not here to be Queen of the Ashes." Dany cut them off and silenced the room.
"That's very nice to hear. Of course, I can't remember a queen who was better loved than my granddaughter. The common people loved her, the Nobles loved her, and what is left of her now? Ashes. Commoners, Nobles, they're all just children, really. They won't obey you unless they fear you." Olenna explained to Daenerys and Rose silently agreed with her.
"I'm grateful to you, Lady Olenna, for your counsel. I'm grateful to all of you, but you have chosen to follow me. I will not attack King's Landing. We will not attack King's Landing." Daenerys told her council sternly.

     The council split apart when Olenna and Daenerys took the opportunity to talk with one another. Rose followed Yara and Ellaria out and into the throne room. The room was as big as the one in the Red Keep, but so much darker and intimidating, that may be because of who was currently sitting on it. The Greyjoy's and Sand Snakes were going back to Dorne to get the rest of the armies there to attack King's Landing from the ground.
"Good luck Yara. We will be waiting to hear from you." Rose told Yara before she left with her brother and Ellaria.
"Thank you, Lady Tyrell. I hope once we take the Iron Islands back after this war is done the Tyrell's will support our efforts." She told her. Rose nodded and smiled at the young woman.
"Of course. Anything for a friend of the crown. Safe travels to you."
The group left and Rose was left with her Grandmother and Daenerys walking into the throne room. Rose turned to face her grandmother who still wore black in mourning.
"I hope she didn't corrupt you at all. My grandmother is known to corrupt men, I'm not sure about women." Rose commented and Olenna cracked a smile as did Dany.
"No of course not. Your grandmother is very wise. I think we could all take a few notes from her." Daenerys said.
"I've been trying my entire life but it never turns out the way it should."
"No, perhaps not but you wouldn't be standing here if it succeeded in the way you thought it would. And no one is as good as me, I was the best." Olenna remarked and a true smile graced Rose's face for the first time in awhile.
"Come, we must get ready for supper." Olenna extended her arm to her granddaughter and they left the throne room.

     Days went by and there was no word from Yara or Ellaria. Daenerys stayed positive, thinking the best and Tyrion, being the cynic he was, was thinking the worst. Daenerys was receiving a guest today, at Tyrion's request. Jon Snow, Ned Stark's bastard son and supposed King in the North, was coming here to bend the knee to Dany and fight by her side. The Tyrell's, Tyrion, Varys and Dany were sitting in the throne room waiting when the large doors swung open.
       A man, older than 50 walked next to Jon. Rose remembered meeting Jon when he was young and could see the Stark in him. They walked to the middle of the room before Missandei introduced Dany.
"You stand in the presence on Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryan, rightful heir to the Iron Throne, the rightful Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Protector of the Seven Kingdoms, Mother of Dragons, the Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, the Unburnt, the Breaker of Chains."
There was a silence before the man next to Jon spoke up.

"This is Jon Snow... he's King in the North."