• Chapter 10 •

It had been two days since Rose's conversation with Brienne and silence had overtaken the boat once more. The river seemed to be closing in on them and they would have no choice but to return to land and finish the journey on foot. Jaime was enjoying the time on the small boat because he never had to work for anything and he just sat down and relaxed the entire time. Though, he couldn't seem to shut his mouth the moment they got off the boat and back on land.

He found it amusing to harass Brienne even more than he had as they traveled on water. The three were walking across rocks and mud to a gravel road where their muddy clothes could dry. Rose's feet were beet red and the gravel surely pained them more but she continued on because Brienne didn't need to hear more complaining and Rose didn't want to be a nuisance to anyone.

Jaime, on the other hand, continued on with his nests and vulgarity.

"You're a virgin, I take it?" He asked Brienne but she didn't even flinch at any comment Jaime made. It's like she was made of steel. Rose was taken aback by the question and threw Jaime a look of disappointment and urged him to knock it off. It was none of his business anyway.

"Walk." Brienne ordered him and pushed him in front of her so he leads the way. Yet Jaime continued to glance back at her and mess with her.

"Childhood must have been awful for you. Were you a foot taller than all the boys? They laughed at you, called you names? Some like a challenge. One or two must tried to get inside big Brienne."

"One or two tried." Brienne responded flatly.

"Ah. But you fought them off." Jaime replied, seemingly very interested in Brienne's sexual encounters.

"But maybe you wished one of them could overpower you, fling you down, tear off your clothes. But none of them were strong enough... I'm strong enough." Jaime commented. Rose looked toward Jaime with furrowed brows. Jaime just shrugged back as if he were doing no wrong so Rose scoffed and turned her head way, taking in the forestry around them.

"Not interested." Brienne replied.

"Of course you are, you'd love to know what it feels like to be a woman." Rose halted as she looked ahead of her and saw three swaying bodies hanging from a tree. Three women, young from what she could tell, their clothes ripped and a sign hanging from the middle woman's neck.

They lay with lions.

All Rose could think was that one of those girls could have been her.

"They lay with lions." Jaime read the sign aloud.

"Tavern girls I'd say, they probably served my father's soldiers. Maybe one of them gave up a kiss and a feel. That's how they earned this. The glorious work of the northern freedom fighters. Must make you proud to serve the Starks."

"I don't serve the Starks. I serve Lady Catelyn." Brienne said as she tied Jaime to a tree. Brienne then unsheathed her sword and walked toward the rope that held the women in the trees.

"Tell yourself that when they swing in your dreams. What are you doing?" Jaime said.

"Burying them." Brienne replied to him and continued on trying to retrieve the women.

"We need to leave. The bodies aren't rotting, these are fresh." Rose warned and Jaime appeared to agree with her, suddenly nervous of their open position.

"We shouldn't stay here. We should get back on the river. I think these women would understand-"

"I don't care what you think." Brienne shot back and ignored their pleas.