• Chapter 5 •

Jaime's words struck a harsh chord for Rose and her feelings, though she had known the man well enough to know that he was far more emotional than the front he has established for himself. The two did not break eye contact no matter who they were talking to and Catelyn knew that the four, Brienne, herself, and the two guards wouldn't be there for long.

"Lady Stark, would you be so kind to give us a moment alone?" Rose asked her in a firm and determined tone. Catelyn nodded and put a hand on Brienne's arm, ushering her away.

"Lady Stark, how do you know she will not help him escape? We cannot trust her." Brienne said after watching the first interaction between two lovers who had been separated by fear.

"Come Brienne, I must see my son. Lady Tyrell when you are done find Brienne, she will show you to your tent." Rose nodded and the two women left.

The guards were still present, sitting around, talking to themselves but occasionally looking toward the direction of Rose but further away from the cell than they were before. To Rose, Jaime seemed to have aged sitting in the makeshift wooden cage the northerners called a cell. He was dirty, his hair longer, a full beard covered his finely sculpted face. There were cuts and dried blood all over his face, though nothing too bad. His clothes were dirty as well and it was as if he hadn't bathed in months, but she could understand. He was Robb Stark's prisoner after all. For two people who were once so close, it was like watching two strangers meet for the first time.

"Where are the girls?"

"How could I possibly know? I've been Robb Stark's prisoner for... gods only know how long. You know, Lady Stark is convinced that I know where her girls are too... yet, I have been sitting in this cage. I've been here since poor Ned Stark lost his head... but they seem to forget that. Do you still write to my brother?" Rose furrowed her brows at Jaime and he looks at her inquisitively now.

"You think I didn't know? Tyrion was so gracious to let me read them. I wonder, how is Ser Loras now that Renly is dead?"

"How do you-"

"-the soldiers talk, you would be surprised what they talk about. I hear your sister is already looking for another husband."

"Enough about my sister, about the soldiers, about Tyrion, and Ned. I am here to help Lady Stark get her girls back, you of all people should know how a mother would do anything to protect her children."

"What are you implying? That I am a mother? Gods I didn't kn-" Jaime laughed at the comment and looked around his cage in amusement. He couldn't recall Rose being this humorous when they were together.

"-You know how Cersei is. She would kill if she had to for one of her children. If I write to Tyrion from this camp I will be killed for treason if it gets in the wrong hands. I know Sansa is set to marry King Joffrey. I assume she is relatively safe in the Capitol. No one has seen Arya, I couldn't even begin to guess where she is. But I know if Robb isn't careful, Sansa won't be so safe in the Capitol. It is my understanding that the King isn't well liked, and if one of them dies, I don't believe they would hesitate to kill you and send your body back to your family."