Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Being in my father's study room always signified major changes in my life. The first time I was ever allowed in here was when my mother had just found out she had cancer. That was the first time I was called in here. I was so excited at the time, I viewed it as a great privilege to be allowed into the 'off limits' room.

That excitement soon shattered into a billion pieces as the news of my mother's illness set it. The next time I was called in here was when some idiot colleague of my dad's ran over my bunny. From that day on I associated this room with bad news. This was where I was summoned when my dad wanted to punish me for whatever stupid thing I did.

I had thought the bad news cycle broke when I was introduced to Seb in the exact room, however, I had clearly thought too soon. It took a few years for me to realize that, that event in my life was not a positive one either.

As soon as I got back from visiting with Loretta I was sent up to the study. Carrie told me that my father had something important to talk to me about.

I climbed the stairs up slowly with heavy shoulders, already dreading whatever news my dad was about to share.

I gently opened the door and stepped inside the dark gloomy room. It was exactly as one would picture. Dark furniture picked out carefully to compliment the other pieces. A large desk in the middle of the room, that seemed to make who ever sat behind it feel powerful. There was a mini bar on one side with the best brands of liquor that money could buy.

"Close the door behind you, Anastasia." A quiet but sturdy voice spoke. I should have known by now that he didn't want someone to eavesdrop on our little meetings. He was a very private person and liked to remain that way.

Without looking up I turned and closed the door as my dad commanded. When I turned back to face him I noticed that he wasn't alone.

Seb was seated in the corner of the room, swirling some amber liquid in a glass. He took a long sip of it and rose to his feet.

"Anastasia, it's nice to see you." My dad spoke, making me turn my attention back to him.

"You too dad. You look good." I noted. He had some bags under his eye, but that was expected of anyone running a multi-billion dollar empire.

I stood ground and waited for him to reply, but instead he closed the space between us and gave me an actual hug.

To say I was shocked would have been an understatement. Since mom died dad had done anything and everything possible to keep me at arm's length.

"It's good to have you back home. You look so much like your mother." He said as he distances himself from me. His hands are still latched onto my shoulder though, keeping me in place.

"It's good to be back dad." I said giving him a beaming smile. This reaction from him was very unexpected, but for the first time since being back I actually felt welcomed. Not to say I didn't feel welcomed before, since Carrie was warm and receiving. But it was different to have my dad actually show some emotion towards me.

There was silence in the room as dad's eyes examined my face. I quickly stole a glance at Seb, and found him staring at me without expression.

"Well let's get down to business then shall we?" Dad asked quickly releasing me and moving to his enormous chair planted behind the equally enormous desk.

I glanced at Seb again and found that he moved and was now casually leaning against the desk facing me.

"Take a seat Anastasia." Dad ordered.

I took a steady breath in and walked over to the plush chairs placed opposite to the desk. I took my time sitting down and finally found dad's eyes.