The Magic in Books: Chapter twenty-one

Osiris flew far ahead of Saphira, knowing I would not want my tears to be seen. I thanked him and wiped at the grief that was already being blown away by the wind.

The joy of being so free, up so high away from the earth was marred by my self-hatred. I never thought I'd be one of those girls who would break boys' hearts and then toss them away, but I was well on my way to becoming one.

Both Eragon and Cole deserved better than me, much better. When we got home I would straighten things out with them and forever remove them from the pain that surrounds me...I'm no good for anyone. I swallowed hard thinking that Cole had been too upset to fly with us today.

Osiris, with his gentle kindness that I did not deserve slid into the raging wind of my mind, Human love seems to be a bit more complicated then the love between dragons, but even we have our struggles. I think that you should make sure of your feelings before acting on them...you should have done that from the beginning, but there's no reason you cannot start now. ...So, you love them both. But which one can you not live without?

Osiris left me then to chew on that thought, before our flight was rudely interrupted.

Out of nowhere, a wall of magic appeared, Osiris and Saphira slammed into it headfirst, having no time to stop. The wall, however, had different plans for us. Before we could react it pulled us from our seats and threw us behind it's barriers, away from our dragons.

Eragon and I tumbled headlong through the air, hurling hundreds of feet toward the forest floor at breakneck speed.

For the first time in what felt like forever Eragon and I looked at each other with no walls up around our feelings, too shocked to be guarded.

"Cushion yourself!" He yelled over the wind. I nodded.

We crashed through a few tree branches before making our cushioning spells, and when I was close enough to the ground to let go of mine I ended up landing on Eragon and knocking him off of his feet.

Groaning in pain we just lay on the ground for a moment before reality snapped back to me and muttering "sorrys" I rolled away as fast as I could.

Sitting up Eragon's eyes slid over me, and his eyebrows scrunched together, "Alex, you're all beat up."

Reaching out, he touched my bloody bottom lip and I noticed the sting. What took precedence over the pain was the fact that my heart was beating a mile a minute and my cheeks were  warming, threatening to give me away.

Coughing, I turned away, "I'll be fine, I think you're worse off." It was true, Eragon's face was all scratched up and bruises were already starting to form on his chest, which was exposed by his open shirt. Cue blushing.