The Magic in Books: Chapter eighteen

Eragon leaned in and pressed his ear to the egg, his eyes on me. Suddenly he smiled, "Its thoughts are blurry but it is thinking of you."

The egg rocked a little, and then was still. Five minutes later and it still had made no other movement. My face fell, "Maybe it decided not to hatch for me after all." To my surprise my eyes started to burn a little, I was hurt that the little creature inside did not want me.

Eragon took my face in his hands, "It took saphira days after the first time I touched her to hatch, it does not mean he doesn't want you."

Eragon was so sincere, his face open like a book, that I almost caught a flicker of something else in his eyes, but It was so sudden that I could not tell what it meant. He saw in my eyes that I was trying to read him and he dropped his hands, leaning away a little. That only confused me more.

I thought guys were supposed to be simple. 

Snick!

A large crack appeared in the side of the egg, and then it exploded.

~~~

Eragon and I reacted like surprised cats and leapt over the back of the couch. We crouched there, nose to nose. "What the hell was that?" I whispered.

"I have no idea, dragons don't normally completely anhiliate their shells when they hatch." His eyes were wide, "On the plus side, you are now a rider."

There was a thump, and our heads shot up. Peeking over the edge of the couch were two eyes like raw emerald crystals, and a wiggling black snout. 

"Osiris," I muttered, thinking of the Egyptian god with blue/green skin. "I hope you like the name cause its your's now you little demon."

The baby dragon blinked at me and stretched its neck over the couch as I reached out with my right hand.