The Magic in Books: Chapter Five

Song: Bring Everything(but the owl) by Ramin Djawadi from the Clash of the Titans Soundtrack

Eragon made all of us swear secrecy in the Ancient Language, which took longer with me because the words tasted funny and I couldn't get them out right, though Eragon had patience and repeated them for me. 

Once that was done he explained about the Eldunari, which I barely listened to because word for word it was exactly like the book. Then came the time for him to leave, there wasn't any point in waiting any longer. 

Eragon gave goodbyes to everyone, but when it came to me, he seemed unsure. He smiled down at me, "I'm glad to have your help, Alex."

Smiling back I grabbed his collar in one fist and dragged him down to my level. His clear eyes stared into mine as he blushed at being less than an inch or two from my face, I was glaring but found it hard to keep. He was so handsome it was distracting. "If you get yourself killed over there in la-la land, I'll find my way to the underworld to kick your ass. Without the main character there is no story." Patting his cheek I let him go. 

I heard Orik chuckle to my right.

Saphira swung her massive head around to look at me with one icy blue eye. Her mind touched mine, it was alien for sure, it felt like flames, a hot desert, cold wind, high mountains, screaming prey and the brilliant majesty that was Saphira. Train well, young one. Even if you are not what others expect, become a feared warrior in your own right.

I frowned, and so did Eragon, having been privy to Saphira's words, "what do you mean?" I asked.

You are not elf, you are not human, you are not made of magic either. You are raw energy in the purest of forms, queen of the elements. Some day, young one, the ground will shake beneath you and the seas will rise at your command.

I was speechless. Eragon exchanged glances with Arya, probably letting her know that something wasn't right. Something wasn't right with me.

~~~ 

Song: The Bird and The Worm (instrumental) by the Used

Arya spent the rest of the day explaining the rules of magic, sitting outside of my tent on a small patch of grass, but the whole time she had a frown on her pretty face.

"Somehow. Based on instincts and what Saphira has told me. I don't think this information; these rules and laws, apply to me, Arya."

"That may be, Alex," Arya ran a hand through her hair thoughtfully. "Why don't you come with me, I think I have an idea."

Out of the came we walked, into the open fields, there she stopped and turned to face me, her lips moved as she stared at something past me, then she focused again and said, "that will keep our experiments from being noted by the spies in the camp...just in case."

I nodded. "So what do you want me to do?"

"Be surprised," she muttered. "Do you like fire?"

"Uh, yeah I guess," I frowned, what the hell was this about? "it's pretty and all."

She turned away, whispered something, and seemed to cup something her hands..."Than catch!" she spun and threw the something at me.

It was a ball of flames as big as a softball. By instinct I reached out to catch it, the rational part of my brain telling me I would be burned.

But...I caught it. It encompassed my hands, stretching up like a mini bonfire. Slowly, a grin spread on my face. Again by instinct, I made the ball of flames bigger my using my mind and my will, no words of Ancient Language. Just me.

Arya's face was white with shock, "how is this possible? Is it draining your energy to keep the flame going? Are you concentrating on it?"

I shook my head to both..."it's almost...natural."

"I wonder how far you could go with this power," Arya still seemed stunned.

She made me extinguish the fire. "Now start one," she said.

I held up my hand, and concentrated, willed, commanded the fire to appear. It did, blossoming in my hand like a flower.

Arya's hands shook, "no energy required...probably able to do this with all of the elements."

Stretching out my other hand at the ground, I concentrated again. A chunk the size of a living-room couch burst out of the ground with a shudder and a rumble.

"We're going to win," Arya breathed.