one. we're the same

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

DAYLIGHT SEEPED through the patterned curtains on to the wooden floor of Elena's bedroom as the wind blew lightly through the window, giving off a gentle breeze. Kristina sat on the window seat, not taking her eyes off of Elena as Damon sat a little in front of Kristina, Stefan on her bed. Elena was still, no movement was visible and it was silent. The only thing that showed any proof of life was Kristina's rapid heartbeat as she tugged at her hair lightly, awaiting the moment they were dreading.

Elena's body suddenly began to move as she took a sharp breathe of air, allowing oxygen to fill her lungs as her eyes darted around the room full of panic. Kristina stood up suddenly at Elena's outburst back into the world of the living and Damon held her hand from his seated position as a comforting gesture but to also hold her back from overcrowding Elena especially now she had become a vampire.

"Stefan..."

Stefan smiled and he said gently "Hey. I'm right here. You've been in and out for hours."

"Wh-What happened?" Elena exasperated through heavy breathes.

Stefan went silent as Kristina gave a solemn look to Damon "You were in an accident."

"Oh my god." Elena panicked as realisation struck her "Matt, is he-"

"Alive?" Damon interrupted clearly still angry and upset by his tone, everyone's heads turned to him "Ask Stefan, the hero."

Stefan nodded his head "He's fine."

Elena exhaled "Thank you. I thought that I-how did you..."

"Save you?" Damon frowned "He didn't." Kristina stood behind Damon and placed a hand on his shoulder returning the gesture from earlier. Her heart was slowly sinking at the sight of she best friend struggle to comprehend the mess that had been created.

"When Jeremy brought you to the hospital before all this happened, your injuries were worse than anyone knew. Meredith fell made a choice. She used Damons blood to heal you." Stefan explained.

"And when Rebekah ran Matt's truck off the road, you had vampire blood in your system, Elena." Kristina revealed hesitantly, not knowing how to tell her best friend she had become something she never wanted to be.

Tears brewed in Elena's eyes "Oh my god. Does-does that mean that I...am I dead?" Nobody could respond "No! No, no no. That-that wasn't supposed to happen!"

"Maybe it doesn't have to. I talked to Bonnie. She said she's stronger than ever. There might be something she can do to help you." Stefan attempted to reason with Elena but nothing could be done to change what had happened.