The Secret Guardian: Chapter 18

Chapter 18: The Secret Guardian

*Conrad*

Kat, a Guardian?! How can that be? They don’t mate. They don’t get married in fact! My mouth drops to the floor at my realization and the same goes with half the people in the room.

Kat Stood up from her crumpled position, shining like a diamond caught in the sun. When the light went away her practice uniform had melted away and she stood in a gown of white. The dress is a strapless, floor length number and looked as soft as air. The bottom was tinged in a very pale blue. Her hair had fallen out of the messy ponytail and now fell in curls down to her waist. A vine of flowers made of gold topped her head like a crown. All that was left of the light was her eyes. The bright light had covered her blue eyes and she floated over to the leader.

She spoke with the words of all the Guardians, both male and female, in a horrific display of her power.

“You have upset the balance Cropen. Your army will be given but one hour to vacate the planet, for an eternity. Your assassins are to leave Narsda, for they are not welcome.”

“And what if we refuse?”

“Then your race shall be destroyed. Every last man, woman and child shall be taken to the planet of the Guardians. You shall all be thrown into the everlasting fires, where you shall spend the rest of your days constantly burning without relief.”

Kat’s eyes glowed brighter and more menacingly as she spoke. I couldn’t get past the feeling that Cropen had seen the images of what would happen.

When I looked over to Cropen his face had hardened.

“You don’t scare me. I know that you have to report to the Guardians to make that happen, and I know that you never knew this about yourself.” He turned to his men and yelled. “Bind the Guardian. We can sell her for millions in the black market.” He laughed a spine chilling laugh as he turned back to her. The men grabbed chains and bound her.

She did manage to make one more threat before they gagged her.

“You have chosen your fate.” The light disappeared and Kat returned in her, by comparison, disheveled state. They allowed her a look at herself and she looked over at me questioningly.

“Wait!” I yelled. “Let me tell her what happened. She at least deserves that. This wasn’t her war!”

“It became hers when she found you. I will allow you five minutes to say your goodbyes.” I scrambled over to Kat and noticed her eyes wide with fright. When she saw me looking at her and hardened herself no longer showing pain, but I still knew what was underneath those eyes. I pulled out the gag and she immediately started to talk.

“What happened C?”

“You are a Guardian. I am sure you blacked out during this but part of you is special. You are part of a bridge between the worlds. The Guardians have been keeping the peace for eons. When you blacked out you became a Guardian.”

“Well how do I bring her out? She can end this!”

“You don’t bring her out. She comes when she wants. That isn’t the strange part though.”

“What is then?”

“Guardians don’t mate.”

“How are we…How did we…?” She couldn’t form the sentence but I knew what she was saying.

“I don’t know. But know this. I will fight for you. We will not die without a fight.” Her shell cracked and I saw the tears starting to flow freely from her eyes. My heart was cracking from her pain.

“I love you, Conrad.”

“I love you too, Kat. I’m not letting you go.”

Her face contorted into one of confusion and fear.

“What’s wrong Kat?”

“She wants to speak with you.” Before I could say anything the light shown again and Guardian Kat was before me, speaking with many voices.

“Take heart young warrior.” She was speaking in my mind, so as not to be heard is my guess. “You have many questions and all shall be answered in the future. For now you need to focus and steel yourself. I went to the Elders and they are sending help. You will know when to strike and I shall help. When my light shines avert your eyes lest you be blinded. Erasmus is coming to but he is blindfolded like Anne. Neither shall come to harm. Protect Katherine, for she is my only portal.”

She focused on my eyes, keeping contact until she peered down at my lips, leaning in. Her lips brushed mine and I felt like I was almost betraying Kat by kissing someone else, but technically it was Kat who I was kissing. This time the Guardian Kat spoke aloud.

“May the blessings of the Elders help you on your path.”

I couldn’t speak in my shock but I managed a curt nod. She shone one more time and before me was Kat.

“What did she want?”

“She kissed me and told me she hopes the Elders are on our side.”

“Well, that’s useless advice. And how dare she kiss my man.” She leaned in as well and I could feel all the desperation she held. I cupped her face in my hands as we kissed not wanting to let her go. All to soon someone came and started pulling me away by arms.

Kat just stared at me all hope leaving her face. A single drop of salty water left her eyes and fell down her cheek. At that moment I wanted to be the tear. At least during it’s life it got to touch her, stopping only to fall to its death.

I whispered to my self vowing them to be my last words. “I Love you Katherine Markovitz!”