Anne's Side of Things: Chapter 15

Chapter 15: Anne's Side of Things

*Anne*

I saw a glint of light out of the corner of my eye. So she found me. I turned to look at her and saw the maniac like eyes filled with hatred. Everything was going according to plan. I pulled out my own sword as we circled each other. She was careful not to give me a clear shot at the door though. Smart. I know she probably has more training than me since I have had all of one hour and Conrad would of had her practicing since she arrived, and then doubled it when he found out I was out for her blood.

I saw her eyes roam to my sword. I looked to and found that Conrad’s blood still dripped from the polished steel. When I looked back there was a renewed vigor to Katherine’s eyes and I could tell that she was not going to let me get off easily.

“So the mouse has cornered the cat.”

“You might say that, but seeing as you are cornered doesn’t that make me the cat?”

“Touche. How about we talk before we lunge head first into a battle that the winner would ultimately regret it in the long run.”

“Are you saying you regret trying to killing me?”

“No I’m not saying that in the least. I am saying that I am sad since I don’t feel hatred toward you but if I am to get the throne Conrad’s mate must be killed. You are his mate therefore the only one with whom he can rule. He must have a queen. If you were to die there would be no queen, leaving me to rule after I too have found my mate.”

“So it another case of sibling knocking elder sibling off the throne. Okay but I refuse to die without a fight. And you will die by my hands for the hell you have put me through these past few weeks. I have had to work twice as hard and there is not one bit of fast food on this planet.”

“Judging by the picture of you before coming to this planet we did you a favor.”

“You did not just call me fat.”

“Maybe I did and maybe I didn’t.”

“Die bitch.” Katherine lunged at me and I could see that this was a rage charge, but unlike what I have learned from them she still protected her body. Normally a rage charge would get you killed because, you are too focused on the other person to defend yourself and then you leave major areas open, getting you killed with one strike.

Instead of doing a rage charge she just closed the gap between us. No wonder it wasn’t normal though, it is because she just sheathed her weapons. “You know what, I should keep my head level here. I will talk, but only for a short time, so make your case quick. Then we will duel, but outside so as not to harm the pretty books.”

“My Intel did tell me that you read a lot.”

“They do their research.”

“That’s what they’re paid for aren’t they?”

“Ah, yet another case of paying the nerd to do the cheerleader’s homework.” What the heck, she knows I’m not from her weirdo planet right?

“Whatever. Let’s sit and I will tell you what lead me to do this.”

“Whatever. I am still going to hate you after this, because you hurt Conrad.”

“Understandable, I know he bled so much that he went unconscious.”

“Yes he did, apparently when you find your mate you can feel whether they are alive or dead or something like that and when they’re unconscious you can’t feel a thing. I miss the presence I never knew I had.”

“Well I am sorry. If you hadn’t been Conrad’s mate, I feel that we would have become good friends.”

“I think that chance got shot to hell the moment you threatened Conrad.”

“I do to, but I am just trying to save my kingdom from my idiot brother’s rule.”

“How do you know he won’t destroy it? He has changed a lot since I first met him, most of the time for the better. And, in tough situations, I have been able to help him through it. From what I have learned from the mating thing, it seems like your mate is supposed to change you and make you what you are supposed to be and help you with the struggles. He has understood me better than anyone and that was all in the first week I knew him. He has learned, more than anyone I might add, about me. And I about him.”

“That may be, but I had a vision you might say. It showed me what is to happen if my brother rules, and what would happen if I ruled. Under his rule there would be famine, and poverty, a plague even.” That is where she interrupted me.

“But if that were to happen under his rule then it would happen under yours as well. Famine is brought on by a certain lack of resources, same with poverty. And if the plague that swipes through is deadly enough than who could stop it? After this vision did you happen to wake up screaming?”

“What does it matter to you?” how did she know?

“Because every Ulmenris I have had, I end up, shooting up in the bed screaming my head off. Did you also feel light headed, but also feel like your head was so heavy it would fall off your head and to the ground at any moment?”

“Yes? How did you know that?”

“Another side affect of Ulmenris. Somebody tricked you into this war. Somebody made you preoccupy our time while they planned something horrific. What is your army mostly comprised of?”

“Waldorgians. They are the only things able to bring an end to my brother’s rule. And they are what’s posted on Narsda as well.”

“And what made you think that?”

“Another vision.”

“We have to go find your parents. You have been tricked and it could spell doom for us all.”