Chapter 28: What's going on?

James' P.O.V.

"James, I need to tell you something." Joni says in a serious tone.

"What is it sweetheart?"

"I wanna quit singing."

"But you love singing."

"I know but it's all just to much you know? And with you being in that movie. We barely see each other, only on the weekends and even then we're too busy doing other things."

"I'm here now and it's not weekend." It's true though. I should make more time for her.

"I just want to get out of the show business." l nod in understanding. "It'll be better for all of us."

"It's your decision and I completely support you in that."

"Thank you." Just as I was about to step closer to her she walks away from me. I let out a sigh. I don't get it first she complains about us not spending enough time together and now she's so distant. I go upstairs and plop down on the bed, turning the T.V. on. Minutes later Joni comes in with a laundry basket.

"Babe?" She doesn't answer. "Babe?"

"Hmm?" She responds absentmindedly.

"Come lay with me please." I pat the spot next to me.

"I can't James. I'm doing laundry."

"First you complain about us not spending any time together and now that I want to you're being like that!" She drops the basket and walks closer to the bed.

"Like what James?!" She says in an angry tone, crossing her arms.

"Distant! You know ever since you came back from L.A. you've been very distant and I want to know what's going on!" I get up and stand in front of her.

"Nothing is going on!" She tries to get away but I grab her arm before she can.

"Then why is it you barely let me touch or kiss you? I know you better than this Joni." Weird. I never really call her by her name. Usually I call her boo or babe or something like that. "I know you're keeping something from me and I wanna know what it is. So tell me what the heck is going on?!"

"Nothing!"

"Does it have something to do with L.A.?! Did something happen there?! Did you even go to L.A.?!"

"Of course I went to L.A.! Where else would I have been?!"

~Flashback.~

Joni's parents agreed to babysit the kids today, so Joni and I could have some alone time. We weren't planning on doing anything special. Just being together and enjoying each other's company was enough. We were strolling through the streets, hand in hand, stores passing by us left and right. "Joni?" I suddenly behind us. We turn around.

"Zac?" Joni asks in disbelieve. The guy nods. "Oh my God, I can't believe it's actually you. It's been so long." She wraps her arms around him and hugs him tight. "Oh, how rude...uhm James this is Zac, we were in high school together before I got to know you. Zac, this is my husband, James." She introduces us and we shake hands.

"You're...married?"

"Sure am." She holds up her hand to show him her wedding ring. "And mother of two beautiful children." She continues with a bright smile on her face. "What about you? Wife? Kids?"

"Uhm, no. My girlfriend and I broke up a few months ago."

"I'm so sorry."

"Don't be. It's not like it's your fault." He laughs nervously. Something is wrong with this dude.