Chapter 5

“What’s your deepest secret?” I asked him rubbing my eyes. It was at least 2:00 a.m.

“If it’s my deep secret why would I tell you?” he laughed sitting cross-legged on the floor.

“That’s exactly what I was wondering.” I said yawning and leaning against my headboard for support.

“I vote we finish this tomorrow. No sane person should be up at this hour doing homework.” Chase moaned from the floor.

“You’ve got a point.” I mumbled and threw the paper from my lap.

“I’ll be in Chris’s room. I don’t think I can make it home.” Chase yawned standing from the floor. I walked over to him and gave him a surprise hug. He stiffened, but let his body calm down and he embraced me back.

“Thanks for cooperating.” I said into his shirt. I didn’t want to look up at him and end up doing something stupid.

“Yea like I said I still want to be your friend. Even if we can’t be together right now.” He said into my hair. I let go of him and took a few steps back so we had some space between us.

“See you in the morning beautiful.” He smiled and left my room. I sat back on my bed thinking about this day. How am I supposed to be with someone who doesn’t want to break up with their girlfriend?

“Ugh I feel like his mistress.” I chuckled darkly to myself and drifted off the sleep.

“Open up Logan. Today’s Friday and we need to get to school!” Chris yelled to me through my door.

“Yea I know!” I grumbled and rolled out of bed. I wanted to look nice today for some odd reason. I went through my closet and found a black fitted dress with my black booties. I grabbed my bag then ran down to the kitchen and grabbed a bagel.

“Where is Chase?” I asked trying to be nonchalant.

“He left this morning to get ready at his house.” Chris said leaving out the front door. I shrugged guessing I would see him at school. I left the house and got into the car with Chris. We parked in the parking lot and I ran leaving Chris behind. I have never been so excited to go to school.

I was walking to the soccer field to find Chase. He was usually there practicing and I wanted to talk to him about us. On my way there though, I see Hailey and Chase leaning against one of the buildings. She had her body close to his, and he had his arms wrapped around her waist. She stood on her tip toes and they shared a kiss. That’s what stung me the most.

“You’ll walk me to class later right babe!” Hailey smiled.

“Of course sweetheart. See you later.” He kissed her cheek once more and she ran off to her next class. I stood there hurt and discouraged. What was I thinking!? He had a girlfriend and here I was chasing after him! I am not a pathetic, little girl who goes so low as to steal some other girls’ man.

“Hello Logan, how are you?” Chase walked up to me and whispered in my ear seductively.

“I change my mind. I am chasing after a guy who doesn’t want to choose me over his girlfriend. And I have to deal with seeing you kiss her on top of that! Don’t you see how that could possibly hurt me?”

“Trust me I do. But didn’t we say we were just going to be friends. So you shouldn’t be mad if I kiss Hailey because she’s my actual girlfriend! You didn’t want to be in an intimate relationship with me and now you have the nerve to be pissed about it.” He chuckled darkly.

“That’s because I didn’t want to be your side hussy while you made out with her in the morning and me at night. Come to think of it I’m sure she wouldn’t want to hear the little things you wanted to do to me last night.” I growled and his eyes widened.