Chapter 10

The gum on the window bugged me. It was neither green nor blue, but it was gray. Why gray? Gray is such a dull and indifferent color. Not vibrant, but not indignant. Why the hell am I analyzing the mood of gum?! I know why. I don't want to face Chase. I should have stayed at the stadium, but my heart thumped wildly when he grabbed my hand. Stupid heart. I usually tell stupid things to die, but in the case of my heart...I will watch my words.

"Why are you so quiet?" Chase maneuvered his head so his face was in front of mine. He tilted his head, and a small smile came to his face. I can't believe I am here right now. And that thought was not in awe.

"I am thinking. Why did I leave Bentley? Why did I embarrass Lucy? Why did I follow you?" I grumbled and his eyes widened in pain. He was actually hurt by what I just said. That's not common.

"I'm sorry I made you think about all of that. But here are my opinions: Bentley is an ass, you were trying to force something that isn't going to happen, but you did it out of love and I'm hoping because you want to see what I can offer you. I am stamped and sealed to be married, but I want to choose who. It's not like I was in an arranged marriage, but I think that title is better than what I was in. Now I am on a bus with a girl who is my opposite in every way, hates me, and I broke up with my future wife for. I just want a chance to impress you. I know I irritate the hell out of you, and if you don't feel anything after today I promise to leave you alone. How about it?" He asked me with a shy glint in his eye. Only Chase can do this long speech and still sound suave and pompous while saying it.

"How do you still sound like a pompous jerk even when I think you are trying to be sincere?" I ask honestly. Chase laughs and pushes me gently.

"It's a talent. I can be open yet guarded."

"So you want me to give you a chance, but you don't want to let your guard down? What kind of request is that?" I ask looking out the window again. Gray gum.

"When you put it like that...I sound hypocritical. Alright I will try. This is just something I am used to doing so it may take some time to change. But for you baby I will let it all down." He kisses my cheek. I am still looking out the window as I force that dumb grin not to come to lips.

In an hour we pull up to a cemetery. I turn to him and he smiles and takes my hand. He helps me out of the bus, and we stand in front of Oakland Cemetery.

"Why are we with a bunch of dead people?" I ask feeling the chills run up and down my spine.

"It's not a real cemetery. It's a theme for this restaurant. It's really cool and not creepy at all. I promise." He laughs and pulls me along. We pass headstones with funny and witty sayings. When we finally make it into the building for the restaurant, my nerves are eased. We sit at a booth that looks like a stage coach. I'm surprised by how much I am getting into this. Our waiter, who looked like a corpse, took our drink orders. I only felt right ordering a Bloody Mary. Chase and I talked. We just talked and talked. It was weird.

"How you liking your brains?" he asks with a grin.

"My fettuccine noodles are amazing thank you. How did you find this place?" I ask while eating a single noodle.

"Your brother found it. We came here for Halloween awhile ago."

"My brother? Mr. I am polite and poised!" I laugh at the outrageous thought. I felt second rate to my brother. I look down at Chase's hand encasing mine.

"Robert loves you a lot. He's not trying to be better than you." Chase reassures me about something I already knew.

"Chase...we have been through a lot lately and I don't know what to think about all of this."