Part 25

Chapter 24 - Graham

The door shut behind him with a quiet click that made him wince.  He didn't want them to know that he had just seen them, didn't want them to feel guilt for something that was meant to happen eventually.  This was what he wanted, Graham reminded himself as he walked further and further away from the room that held his two best friends.  Graham had wanted Scott to find a woman that would treat him right and make him happy.  Sam was that woman.

Acceptance settled in his mind as he stepped outside.  Maybe if it had been a different woman, Graham would have fought for her.  Maybe if it hadn't been Scott who was with that woman, Graham would have fought for her.  He didn't know, didn't even want to think about putting himself in that position.  Would Scott still be his friend if it happened the other way around?  If Graham had won Sam, had wanted to fight for Sam, would Scott bow down? 

With a small laugh, Graham shook his head.  No.  If Scott wanted Sam, he would go after her until he had her.  He would make sure that the woman knew how he felt, knew that Scott was the only one who could make her happy.  And that was what happened.  Scott had shown Sam who she was truly meant to be with.

"Graham," someone snapped in his ear.

Slowly, he glanced over towards a worried Max.  "Yeah?"

"Is she okay?  Did you see her?  Does she need help?"

The questions flew from Max's mouth so quickly that Graham let a genuine smile cross his face.  "She's fine," he said and watched as Max's shoulders dropped in relief.  "Actually, I have a feeling that she is more than fine."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Max snapped, glancing towards the house as if he were contemplating running in after Sam.

"It means," Graham said, pausing until Max glanced back towards him, "that Sam and Scott have finally told each other how they really feel."

Max's eyes widened before dropping back to their normal size.  "You're lying."

"Nope," Graham replied sadly.  "I saw the two of them kissing just a minute ago."

"Good," Max said with a relieved breath.  "You saw them kissing, nothing more than kissing.  You didn't hear what they said before or after the kiss; don't know if everything worked out okay, because you just saw the kiss."

Graham's eyes narrowed at the bright smile Max now wore.  Taking a step towards the man, Graham stared at him. "I think it's time that you answered a question or two that I have."

"I knew this would come eventually," Max admitted, "but I would prefer for you to hurry up and ask.  Sam will be out here in a minute."

"Who do you work for?" Graham asked, not wasting any time.

Max's eyes flickered towards the house.  "Her father.  Since we were younger, I've looked out for her for him."  Max straightened as his eyes drifted from the house and onto Graham.  "That's not the only reason why I watch out for her.  I love her, Graham.  I only want her to be safe and happy."

"Do you think she would be happy knowing that you only hang out with her because your father pays you to?"

"Actually," Max whispered with a small smile, "I don't think she'll mind.  She's suspected before.  I only go on a couple photo shoots a year and only for a couple of days.  I think she knows I get my income from somewhere else too."

Graham nodded, knowing that Max was probably right.  If there was one thing that Graham knew for sure, it was that Sam wasn't stupid.  Hell, the woman was smarter than Max, Scott, and Graham combined.  "So that's why you lie to her."