Part 22

Chapter 21 - Sam

She stepped out of the limo and immediately felt all eyes fall on her.  She didn't blame them for staring.  With the way that she had made a scene and left, she was surprised that all they were doing was looking.  Straightening her shoulders, she walked further into the crowded area, further into the party that Scott's mom was throwing.  It didn't matter that she was leaving Scott behind.  As much as she valued him, as much as she wanted to be in his life, she needed to do this for herself.

Scanning the crowd, she ignored whoever it was that was calling out her name.  Later, she would mingle and have a good time.  Now, she wanted to talk to Scott's mom.  Sam wanted Piper to know that no matter what the woman did, she would always be friends with Scott. 

Her eyes flew through the crowd and finally landed on the object of her thoughts.  As she watched, Piper threw back her head and laughed.  The woman looked happy, more than happy.  So, why would she hate Sam's family?  What would keep Piper angry with her family when the woman herself was happy with her life?

As Sam drew closer to her, she saw exactly whom Piper was laughing at.  Her hand was on the man's arm as she laughed, and there was no doubt in Sam's mind that the man was Scott's dad.  The two looked alike, minus the red hair that Scott obviously inherited from his mom.  Taking a deep breath, Sam stopped in front of the two of them.

Piper's laughter died down as she saw Sam.  The happiness dropped, and Sam could have sworn she saw true regret flash in the woman's eyes.

"Excuse me," Sam said politely.  "May I have a moment alone with your wife, Mr. Miller?"

Mr. Miller smiled at her, the expression full of warmth.  "You must be Sam.  I've heard a lot about you, and I have to admit that they did not do you justice."  Sam's face heated up, making the man let out a deep chuckle.  "Take my wife, Sam, but bring her back before the last dance."

"You have my promise," Sam said.  A large smile spread across her face as the man nodded.  Even if Scott's mom was a little less than friendly, Scott's father made up for it. 

"Come," Piper said with a reluctant smile.  "We can talk in the kitchen."

"Won't it be a little crowded?" Sam asked as she followed the woman out of the crowd.

Piper laughed over her shoulder.  "No.  I make my own food for my gatherings, and everyone knows to steer clear of it.  While my husband prefers his office, I prefer my kitchen."

A small, very reluctant smile formed on Sam's face as they entered the house.  To say that the place was large would be an understatement.  There were chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, sculptures in the living room.  It was just how she imagined Piper's house to look, extravagant.

"My husband has a thing for sculptures.  Don't ask me why.  I prefer a nice sofa myself."

Sam started, freezing for a moment before continuing to follow the woman.  Her she was judging Scott's mom just as the woman had done to her moments earlier.  "Neither of my parents really likes sculptures."

"I know," Piper said, her voice taking on a low quality.  Piper cleared her throat.  "Here we are.  Have a seat at the bar, and I'll grab you some tea."

"Mrs. Miller," Sam interrupted, "I don't mean to come off as rude, but I think the tea can wait."

Piper let out a sigh while sitting in a bar stool on one side of the bar.  Taking her cue, Sam slid into the other.  "I know."

"I'm going to be in your son's life.  I like your son, Mrs. Miller, and even if we are only friends for the rest of our lives, I will be there for him.  I don't care if you don't like me, I don't care if you don't like my family, but I would like it if we could at least tolerate one another."

"That took a lot from you, didn't it?"  Piper said with a caring smile.  "You remind me so much of your mother, but you do have your father's spark.  You look like her, beautiful from inside out.  Your father though, he shines through your personality, willing to fight for what you care for."  Piper reached up, swiping the bottom of her eyes.  "It's not that I do not like your family.  Sure, for quite a long time I despised your mother for taking him from me.  It took me a while to realize that I never had your father to begin with."

"I, I don't know what to say."

Piper shrugged.  "Just let me finish.  Afterwards, you can say whatever you wish."  She cleared her throat.  "It took me years to realize that I never had your father's love, and the love that I had for him wasn't the real kind of love.  We were great friends, but I thought that friendship was more.  It took meeting my husband to realize that the love I felt for your father was just superficial compared to what true love is.  By the time that I realized that, I had already ruined the relationship I had with your mother.  I lost two friends with the way that I acted.  I just don't want Scott to make the same mistake I did."

"What do you mean?  What mistake do you think Scott will make?"

"He's my only son," Piper said slowly.  "You have to realize that I'll be a little protective when it comes to him.  A lot of times, my protectiveness comes off as bitchiness."  Sam made a noise in the back of her throat, making Piper laugh.  "Shocked that I admitted my faults?  Never mind that.  I just have one question for you."

"What?" Sam asked, wanting to know the answer to her own question.

Piper's expression turned serious.  "Do you love my son as a friend?"

"Yes."

"What about Graham?" Piper said, smiling slightly.

Sam smiled back.  "Yes."

"Now," Piper said with a sigh, "what happens when that friendship love turns into more for one of them?  No matter what, everyone is going to lose a friend in the end.  I just don't want that to happen to Scott, just like it happened to me."

Leaning forward, Sam placed her hand on Piper's.  "You have to let us make our own mistakes, Mrs. Miller.  I promise you though, I have no plans of splitting the two of them part.  If I have to leave to make sure that happens, I will."

Piper's free hand covered Sam's.  "Don't do that, Sam.  Leaving them would break them too."  She shook her head, her eyes clouding with tears again.  "You're just like your mother, willing to sacrifice your happiness for others."  Piper took a deep breath before letting it out.  "Just don't—"

"Mom!"

Scott's voice boomed through the house, making them both jump.  Locking eyes with Piper, Sam felt her face split into a grin.  Laughter escaped Piper, making Sam join along.

"Well," Graham's voice sounded.  "This is not what I expected."

"What did you expect?" Max's voice asked with a bit of annoyance.  "With the way that you pushed through that crowd I expected to find Mrs. Miller's body on the ground and Sam's prints all over her."

Piper raised an eyebrow, but Sam just shook her head.  There was no point.  With the way the two of them went at each other, there was no hope to get in a word. 

"You really think Sam would win?" Graham asked, finally coming into Sam's point of view.  "I was putting money on Mrs. M."

Max snorted.  "You haven't seen Sam fight before.  Her dad put her through some stuff growing up.  Believe me; the woman could kick your ass if she wanted too."

"Max," Sam snapped, narrowing her eyes at him.

He raised his hands up in surrender.  "Sorry."

"I think that what they're trying to say," Scott said with a smile, "is that this is nice, seeing the two of you laughing together."

Sam shrugged while glancing at Piper.  She understood why the woman acted as she did.  "We understand each other," Sam said with a smile.

Piper smiled, a genuine caring look entering her eyes.  "We do, and I have a feeling that we'll come to be very good friends when all is said and done."  A little bit of happiness dimmed from her eyes.  "No matter what happens in the meantime."