Part 14

Chapter 13 - Sam

Standing on her toes, she tried pushing the book onto the self, it didn't happen.  Where was Bethany with her stepladder?  Sam shook her head; she didn't even have to think about the answer to her own question.  The girl was probably standing on top of it, declaring that she was Queen of the Library.  It sounded like something Bethany would do.

A sigh escaped her mouth as the book still did not slide into its spot.  Placing her foot on the bottom shelf, she glanced around to make sure no one was watching.  She used the bottom shelf to boost herself up a little.  It worked; the book slide into the correct place, but as it fell into place, she fell off her shelf.  It was a small fall, one that would leave her on her back, but wouldn't hurt her.  She never had the chance to feel the fall though as arms wrapped around her, keeping her from the ground.

"Thanks Max," she mumbled, not turning around to see her friend shake his head at her.

He set her on her feet before glancing down at them with an amused expression.  "What's with the shoes?"

Turning, Sam thrust her foot out, twisting it from side to side with a small smile on her face.  "I'll start small and work my way up to some real heels."

"Those are real, babe.  The heel is an inch more than what I would consider a real heel."

"Three inches are real heels," she said in a serious tone, her eyes narrowed at him.

He let out a laugh while placing a kiss to her cheek. "That was perfect.  You looked and sounded just like her."

Sam bent down, grabbing another book from her cart.  "Why are you here anyway?  I thought you had a job."

"They're not shooting today.  The rain got in the way," he mumbled, pulling a book from the shelf before placing it in the wrong spot.

Yanking it out of the place he put it, she slipped it back.  "That still does not tell me why you're here."

His eyes cut towards her.  "How long are the two of them going to follow you around?"

"I don't know what you mean," she said, a small laugh escaping her mouth.

"You do," he said in a flat voice before his own laughter left his mouth.  "When you left, they stood there looking lost.  Graham finally turned towards Scott and asked if he remembered where the library was.  It's horribly sad, Sam."

"They were joking," she defended, pushing Max out of her way.  She kept placing books in their spots while Max kept removing them behind her. 

"I don't think they were."

Glancing to her left, she smiled.  "They were.  You came off as big brother protecting me.  So, they'll do anything to throw you off your game. They may come off as immature sometimes, but they're smart Max.  You'll see."

"You've known them for a couple days at most, Sam.  You don't really know these men."

Hearing the worry in his voice, she set her books down before looking towards him.  Someone who didn't know him well wouldn't have been able to see the worry around his eyes, the strain lining his mouth, but she could see it.  Taking a step forward, she wrapped her arms around him.  "Nothing will happen to me, Max, because you'll be there."

He stayed frozen in front of her before letting out a sigh.  His arms wrapped around her, capturing her in a tight grip.  "I won't always be there, Sammy, and that's what I don't like to think about."

Her mouth stayed closed.  That was something she didn't like thinking about either.  She didn't want to believe her life could be without Max, but she also knew how quickly things could change.  Her arms tightened around him one last time before they let each other go.  Looking down at her, he pushed a piece of hair from her face.