Part 27

Chapter 26 - Sam

Leaning back in her seat, Sam let a smile curl onto her lips.  Her mother sat there, staring at her with worry creasing the sides of her eyes.  Even with the small lines now there, laughing lines as her father liked to call them, her mother was gorgeous.  It wasn't hard to see how her father had fallen in love with the woman.  Not only did her face show how lovely was, but Sam knew from experience that her mother was one of the nicest women that walked this earth. 

"I'm fine, Mom," Sam said while shifting slightly in her chair.

Her mother's eyes watched the action, a frown overtaking the usual smile on the woman's face.  "You are not," her mom whispered before leaning forwards slightly in her own chair.  "Hurry, tell me what's wrong before your father and Max return.  You know as soon as Marc hears what's made you upset, he'll go at it like a pit-bull with a bone."

"It's nothing Dad can help me with," Sam muttered under her breath. 

Understanding flashed in her mother's eyes as the woman nodded.  "Man troubles.  Honey," her mom started with a roll of her eyes, "you have nothing to worry about.  Hell, we had to keep boys from peeking in your window until you finally moved out last year."

"Mom," Sam snapped, her face flushing. 

"What?" her mother asked, genuine confusion forming on her face.  "It's true.  It's why your father always bought you those sweaters and those ridiculously baggy pants."  A smile formed on her mother's lips.  "You remember the time when your English teacher thought you were a boy?  That was the day I finally made Marc let you buy something that fit you."

"I was a senior," Sam muttered under her breath.  "I bought my own clothes that year."

Her mother had the grace to wince.  Leaning forward, she pulled Sam into a large hug.  "And just think, even under those baggy clothes, you drew the male species in like a moth to a flame.  Whatever problems it is that you're having with this guy, I can assure you that they'll be over with in no time."

"Men," Sam croaked as her mother's grip tightened in shock.  "There's two of them."

Her mother drew back, surprise written on her features.  "Samantha De Luca," her mom whispered, glancing around the sitting room as if she were scouting for danger, "I know that people your age are more liberal than we were, but two?  Couldn't you just find one nice man and settle down?  Give me the grandchildren that I want with one man being the father."

"Mom—"

"Wait," her mom continued, ignoring Sam's outburst.  "Is Max one of the men?  It would make sense.  I don't know too many men who would feel comfortable with another man, but Max—"

"Mom!" Sam shouted, making her mom jump, but thankfully snap her mouth closed.  "I am not with two men.  I am not in a relationship with two men; I love them both in completely different ways, but I know if I choose one of them, I'm going to hurt the other.  I can't let them ruin their friendship over some girl they've only known for a week."

"Oh," her mom breathed, understanding crossing her features before sadness settled.  "Honey, this is bad.  I've been through this.  When your father was younger, I was head over heels in love with him, but when I thought he was in love with Piper, and Piper was in love with him, and well, I know for a fact that your father loved me, it was a disaster."

Sam nodded, while leaning back into her chair once more.  "I know," she whispered just as her father returned with a smiling Max behind him.  She stared at her friend, wishing that he could somehow get her out of this mess.  She knew that it wasn't fair to think that way, but she had gotten so used to Max helping her out of shady situations that she couldn't help but want to lean on him.

"How about," her father said with his still thick Italian accent, "you stay here."  He saw the expression on her face.  "For a month."  A deeper frown.  "Two weeks."  Her frown lightened slightly, but stayed put.  "A week," he sighed.  "You would think that you no longer wish to see us."

Guilt shot through her.  "It's not that, Dad.  I just need to be on my own feet.  Staying here for a week, maybe longer, will let me think some things over without being interrupted."  Her eyes shot towards Max.  "By anyone."

"You want Max to leave?" her mom asked with a frown.  "But Max is like a son.  I'm sorry, Sam.  I love you, but you're acting rude.  Honey, is this about those two boys?"

Max chuckled under his breath, making Sam's eyes narrow.  "She was warning me not to tell Graham and Scott where she is."

"Scott," her mom mumbled, her forehead scrunched up in concentration.  "Where have I heard that name before?"

Sam's father wiggled in his seat in slight discomfort before clearing his throat.  "He is Piper's son, bella."

Her mother's mouth opened in an 'O' as more understanding flashed in her eyes.  "And this Graham?"

"His best friend," her father answered.

"Max!" Sam snapped, feeling like a child, but not being able to help her small outburst.  "I thought you weren't going to tell him."

Max raised his hands in surrender, while staring at her father with admiration on his face.  "I promise, Sammy.  I didn't tell him a thing."

Sam's father flashed a guilty smile in Sam's direction before lifting his wife from her seat.  Once he was happily settled, he pulled her onto his lap.  Sam's mom happily leaned back into her husband, complete love on her face.  "Honey, you didn't think that Max was the only one watching you, did you?  You're worth more to us than all the money we have ever had, and people know that.  It would be dangerous for you to be on your own."

"I know, Mom." Sam replied with a smile.  "I guess it's nice knowing that you care."

Her father raised an eyebrow at her, as if she were being silly.  "We always care.  More than anything, your happiness matters."

"Her happiness matters more than anything, dear," her mother corrected as she nodded along with his words.  "It's true, Sam.  If anything were to happen to you, we would be devastated.  You're hurt right now, and it is taking ever muscle in my body to keep me from jumping from this chair and going momma bear on those boys."

Max laughed while Sam cracked a smile.  She knew her mother was trying to make her laugh, was trying to make her sadness fall away.  "Thanks," Sam mumbled while standing to her feet.  "I think I'm just going to change out of this dress and take a nap."

Her mother went to stand, but luckily, Sam's father must have heard the desperation in her voice.  He held his wife back as Sam left the room.  With a quick smile of appreciation to the family she loved so much, she left the room, but not before she heard Max whisper, "Remember what I told you, Sam."

"I know," she whispered back, even though he could no longer hear her.  "I'm going to have to deal with the two of them one day."  She shook her head as she began jogging up the stairs.  She would deal with Graham and Scott.  She'd find a way to make a happy ending out of this mess, but not today.  Today, she was going to be weak.  Today, she was going to drown in her sorrows.  Tomorrow, they had better be prepared, because she was going to fix the mess she had created.