Nineteen. (2023 Update.)

Unfortunately, I couldn't find music that fits this chapter, so if anyone has a song suggestion, please let me know. 

-Saleen.

Nineteen.

 Some Months Later...

I had been unaware of the time that passed between the fae world and the human world. However, I do know that after Max gave Sabine the order to start her experiments, it was then that the true horrors began for me. Every day, I had been made to watch what Sabine and Max were capable of. I would watch as different races became enclosed under an illusion - as though they were humans entrapped by the silver-slicked tongues of vampires, becoming Sabine and Max's thralls. 

During the time I was able to get away from watching the experiments, Jake was able to sneak me information about what was going on. It wasn't enough information to worry about the safety of everyone, but it was enough information to keep me sane. I had learned through the information that Chloe and Matt would have a son, and the twins had finished high school and were given their Alpha titles. I also learned that since everyone had become aware of Levi and Cosima rejecting me, other packs have attempted to create a treaty with them through marriage.

I also relayed what I learned from Max and Sabine to Jake so he could tell Matt and Jackson. The information wasn't all that useful, but it was enough to warrant Matt and Jackson to excel in their rescue plan. A sigh escaped my lips as I stared down at the food before me. My mind wandered to the possible solutions to avoid falling under Max and Sabine's illusion, but nothing would come to mind. Regardless of the outcome between the twins and me, my wolf spirit still wanted them; I still wanted them. 

A sigh escaped as I laid my head on my right knee. I closed my eyes, searching for anything to distract myself with—a lump formed in my throat, causing it to burn. I breathed in heavily as the tears started to bead down my cheeks. Of all times to show emotions, it had to be now. A bitter laugh escaped as I lifted my head and used the palm of my hand to wipe the tears away. Gods, I missed the twins. 

I missed how their green eyes glinted with laughter and their nose scrunched when confused. Levi would rub the back of her neck when nervous, and Cosima would play with her hair while focusing on the work before her. I missed how they both bounced on their feet when sparing and looked at me like I were their whole world. The tears continued to bead down my cheeks as a sob escaped. 

I honestly wasn't good to them. I made them come second to everything, regardless of the choices I had actively made. Instead, I should have shown them they were my everything and removed myself from the others once they entered my life. 

"Aren't mates something interesting," Max's voice called out, causing me to look to my left. Max's black eyes gazed at me. A sincerity consumed his eyes as though he showed me some sympathy: "When Jake's mother was killed, my world ended." 

"And let me guess; you decided that the world needed to pay the price?" Max laughed as he leaned against the doorframe. He crossed his arms over his chest, laughter dancing in his eyes. He was amused by what I said. 

"Believe it or not, no. I decided that the world wasn't worth my time and relocated here. I've always been this way, Angel. I've always aimed to create a child who would become a god. But, unfortunately, the plan was pushed back a few centuries because of Jake's mother," I gazed at Max, watching his Adam's apple bob up and down, telling me he swallowed. 

"Is this your way of creating a trauma bond or something?" Max released a laugh in response to my question.

"Fuck no. There's only one thing I want from you," Max fell silent and pushed off the doorframe. He gestured for me to follow him and turned on his feet. I returned my attention to the untouched food before me, then sighed again. I guess I can always come back to the food after whatever testing they would do this time. Standing up from the bed, I followed Max.