Chapter 3

"Your prints were the only set on the gun". "Shit". I was fully awake now. "Yeah, shit", Tony replied still standing in the doorway. Cobwebs danced in the light. "How do you know"? I asked sitting up and throwing the sheets off me. I grabbed some pants and pulled them on before reaching for a shirt. Tony just gave me a look. "Right, sorry man", I responded. Tony doesn't like to reveal his 'sources'. All I know is that he has many of them. Probably people that owe him favors. He's that kind of guy. 

"What the fuck do I do". The question was mostly rhetorical, but Tony answered. "I don't know man". "They can't arrest me! It wasn't me. You know that right"? Tony nodded. "Of course, man, but they must really think it was you if they're arresting you this quickly in the investigation". I shook my head before resting it in my hands. I had to figure out what happened. At this point I knew more than the fucking police. I saw the guy jumping over the fence. I knew when it happened. I heard the gun shots. The police weren't taking any notice of what I was telling them. Maybe they didn't believe me. Maybe they didn't care and just wanted someone to be locked up. For it to be done with. 

"I have to go", I said jumping up. Quickly, I shoved all the clothes scattered across the floor into the duffel bag I had brought with me. "Where are you going to go man"? I didn't even look up before responding. "I don't know. But I can't be arrested. I have to figure out what happened. The police obviously don't have a fucking clue". Silence filled the room. We were still for a moment. My bag slung over my shoulder. Tony stood in the doorway. A silhouette against the hallway light. Blocking my exit. The world was still asleep. Now would be an ideal time to slip away. I don't know where to, anywhere but here. 

"Don't try to stop me Tony. There's no way I'm getting arrested". Tony was my friend. I didn't want to hurt him. But I knew that if he stood in my way I would take care of him. Several different methods we already coming to mind. I couldn't help it. My brain just instantly calculated what moves he was likely to make and what to retaliate with. "I'm not going to stop you. Come with me". Tony's shape disappeared into the hallway. I adjusted the bag to a more comfortable position before following him. My footsteps were loud in the quiet house. Snoring could be heard from the room closest to the stairs as we passed. Tony opened a draw in the kitchen. It wouldn't open at first. Stuck. With a bit of a jiggle it came loose. Tony shuffled around quietly before pulling out a set of keys. He grabbed a notepad and scrawled something at the top of the page. He ripped it off the pad and folded it before handing it to me. "There's an address on there to an apartment two towns over. Here are the keys. Ditch your truck as soon as you can. Call me when you get there". 

Wordlessly I took the keys. Movement could be heard upstairs, everyone would be down soon. "Go", Tony urged. I nodded. "Thanks Tony. I owe you". We shook hands sternly. Tony locked the door behind me on my way out. By then it was light. Moving quick would be important. There was one thing I knew for sure. I would need more stuff. I veered left and pulled over across the driveway of Cat's house. Running up the stairs and ducking under the crime scene tape, I jammed my keys in the door swinging it open. My room was right there. The first door on the left. It gave me a perfect view of the street. I hadn't stayed long enough to get to know a lot of the neighbors, but I knew the woman who lives next door normally leaves for work soon. She would see my truck, if she hadn't already. I had to be in and out.

 The house was filled with the kind of silence that was unsettling. That kind of silence is unheard of in this house. Opening the draws, I scanned for anything that could be important. Clothes seems kind of mandatory. I grabbed some casual clothes. Jeans and shirts as well as a cap and some sunglasses. There was a spare notebook at the bottom of one of my draws. Figuring it may come in handy I threw that in too. Walking swiftly to the kitchen I threw open the pantry. The empty box of animal crackers sat right there in front of me. I'd lost track of the ones I bought at the store. I'd dropped them hadn't I? I tried not to look directly at the box while I grabbed some crackers and muesili bars. I knew it was stupid. How could I not look at it? It was right there. I didn't dare move it. Something inside me just couldn't.