Chapter 2

Somehow my body managed to crawl itself back into bed. Letty woke me by bringing me breakfast the next morning. She noticed I didn't eat last night and wanted me to keep my strength up. Letty was always kind like that. Tony was out patrolling the streets for any word on who they think shot Cat and Toby. I told the police about the man in black. Provided I didn't see his face or any distinguishing features it was hard to be of any use. I think Tony knew the police wouldn't have anything yet either. He's smarter than that. Probably just didn't want to be around. He wouldn't know what to say. I don't blame him. I wouldn't know what to say either. 

I took a shower. Washing off the dried blood that still coated parts of my skin. I guess I never got around to washing it off the day before. Around lunch time the cops called. They wanted me to come in for questioning. Letty drove. Insisted I shouldn't be driving in my state of mind. I thought I was doing ok. Considering. Detective Carter lead me to the interrogation room. "Is all of this really necessary"? I asked. "I feel like a criminal being sat down like this and I really just want to get out of here". Carter just stared blankly at me. I supposed he's heard that before. Detective Carter isn't from around here so I didn't know him growing up. Probably a good thing. I got into a bit of trouble as a teen. As all teenage boys do, I guess. He got the detective position a while ago and moved here while I was away.

 "Could you please explain where you were the morning of the 24th"? For a moment I had to think what the date was. It was the 25th, he was referring to yesterday of course. Dates were easier for recording purposes. I eyed the camera in the corner wearily, I've never been a fan of having my face on a screen. The red light told me it was on. Great. Not to mention we were being supervised by people behind the one-way window. All of it made me feel like an animal in a cage. No way out. 

"We were out of animal crackers", I started, Detective Carter gave me a weird look, clearly not expecting that response. I continued. "So, I went down to the store to buy some. On my way, back I stopped just down the street from our house to look out at the bay and I heard a gunshot. It came from Cat's house so I started running when I heard the next gunshot. I saw a man wearing all black jumped over the fence down the side of the house, but I needed to make sure Cat and Toby were okay so I went inside and found them both dead. I saw Cat first and tried to give her CPR before I found Toby around the other side of the bed. Then I called 911 using Cat's phone which was sitting on the floor", I finished. 

"Who was working the shift at the store"? "Mrs. Jackson. As always". "Was there anyone else in the store"? "I don't think so". "How long where you in the store"? "I don't know. Not long. Five minutes maybe". All the questions were based on time. They were trying to piece together a timeline. It made me uneasy because these were all questions you would ask a suspect. I couldn't be a suspect, could I? Letty waited outside for an hour until we were finished. Detective Carter thanked me for my time and walked me out. 

The ride home was silent for the most part. Letty started asking about the interview. I told her everything they'd said and what I'd said but she could tell I didn't really want to talk about it, so she stopped asking questions. Tony had gotten back by the time we got home. One of Letty's sisters, who I now know to be Cara was serving a late lunch outside. My stomach growled and Letty shooed me outside to eat. I obliged. I dug in to some salad and left over pork ribs from last night. Cara offered me a beer. Politely I shook my head and heading inside to get some water. Letty was talking in a hushed whisper to Tony. They were talking about the interview. Obviously, I hadn't meant to eavesdrop. Letty was telling Tony what I had told her in the car. "They were asking him where he was Tony! They were treating him like a suspect and not a victim". "Relax Letty. It's standard procedure to question everyone on the scene. They have to treat everyone like a suspect". "His gun was used to shoot Cat and Toby. He doesn't have an alibi for when he was walking on the street. You said yourself that no one on the streets knew of any witnesses to confirm he was where he said he was. And he's a marine! He just came back from his third tour. They can play the he's not right in the head card. That he went insane. They think it was him Tony! More than half the time a family member is guilty of murder and they know that better than anyone"!