Please Be There Ch. 17

Chapter Seventeen

Brenda~ Present

When I opened my eyes, I was staring at a white ceiling. "Brownie?" Someone whispered, which was followed by, "Oh God, guys she's awake! Brownie?" I slightly turned my head to the side, and saw my brothers staring at me.

"What's...what's going on?" I croaked. And then- wait for it....whether you believe it or not- my brother burst into tears. They held onto me tightly and cried. I didn't know why, but they did, which made me cry.

"B, what the heck is wrong with you?" Daryl snapped, pulling away. They all started laughing, and Chester ruffled my hair.

"Brenda...." Dunkin whispered, shaking his head, "I don't even know where to begin." I looked around and saw an IV in my arm, pumping something into me. "You're too skinny," Dunkin whispered, "Like scary skinny B. They kept asking us how we didn't notice."

"I feel so stupid," Daryl snapped, punching the wall.

"Hey D watch it," I ordered, "You'll hurt yourself."

"Brownie, are you kidding" Daryl laughed humorlessly. "We look like horrible people, because we didn't know you were freaking anorexic! I am the worst big brother ever! What is wrong with me?"

"Daryl you're making things worse," Chester mumbled.

"Guys, guys, guys," I sighed, "It's my fault too. I shouldn't have done a stupid thing like that! Mrs. Rose tried to warn me, but I wouldn't listen to her. I'm sorry I put you all through this!"

"It's okay B," Dunkin smiled, "As long as you don't do anything like it again."

"I won't," I murmured, "I promise."

They nodded, and started heading towards the door, but then Chester turned back. "I'll be right there," Chester whispered to Daryl and Dunkin. They pulled their eyebrows together, but nodded.

Chester closed the door behind them, and then took a seat next to my bed. He moved it closer, and held my hand. "What..." I started, but then Chester burst into tears again.

I was flabbergasted. I never thought I would see Chester cry twice in one day! "Ches, what's wrong?" I whispered.

"When you were out, you were talking about Ma in your sleep," Chester explained, "And it reminded me of that day."

"Yeah," I said, smiling slightly, "I was dreaming about that day."

"I'm sorry I ran out on you," Chester cried, "You were hiding behind Mom and I ran upstairs like a scared little child. I was so ashamed after that. I'm pretty sure we all were, because that's why we always shunned you out. It was the only way we were able to deal with it."

"But you offered to bring me upstairs," I told him.

"Yeah then ran like a girl," Chester scoffed, rubbing his eyes.

"Chester," I sighed, "It's really no big deal, its water under the bridge now. Please don't worry about it."

"Alright," Chester nodded, "And I'm sorry that Aunt Jenna left after Daryl turned 18. I know she didn't want to be with us, but I didn't know she didn't want to be with us that badly."

"It's alright," I shrugged. "I didn't like her anyway."

"Alright," Chester chuckled. He kissed me on the forehead. "I'm glad you're okay Brenda. You had me worried for a second."

"Call me Brownie, Ches," I smiled. "My name is Brownie."

"I know," Chester nodded, "You'll always be Brownie to us." I smiled as he patted my head, and then walked to my door. "Someone's coming to visit you in a second. I'll go get her."

I nodded, and my eyes drifted back to the ceiling. I heard the door open quietly, and then close just as gently. My eyes stayed above me for while until they slowly drifted to the windowsill.

Along the windowsill were many flowers and balloons. I saw them from my friends, Mr. and Mrs. Rose, and of course from my brothers. I smiled at how pretty they looked.

Then it dawned on me that I didn't know how long I had been out for. It could have been days or weeks. I knew that I had lost a lot of weight but I didn't think I would be in the hospital for a week from it. Hopefully I wouldn't gain too much from this IV and laying in the bed all day.

I groaned at the thought of having to go back to therapy. People would always be watching what I ate and if I went to the bathroom after I ate. I guess I set myself up for that one, but I didn't want to deal with the aftermath.

I whimpered a little, because I was hurt and my stomach growled like crazy. I was so hungry, I was sure people would be happy to hear that I was starving and wanted something to eat quickly.

The hospital was quiet, which was soothing. I was about to fall asleep when I heard people outside my door. I strained to hear them. It sounded like Chester was talking to someone. Was it the guest he was talking about?

Guess not, because my friends came bursting in the door. This wasn't just one her. I gave them a small smile, and told them I was fine. "Don't ever do that to me again," Keera snapped. She held me tightly and cried into my shoulder.

"What's your problem Brownie?" Joe chuckled, "Scare us to death why don't you?"

"Oh like you cared," I scoffed.

"We do B," Keera nodded, "So don't play it like we don't! We do, okay? I'm your best friend, and I want you tell me everything, okay? If you ever need something I'll be there for you. I'll always be there for you!"

"Thanks Kay," I smiled, "I'm glad I can count on you!"

"And me," Christy chimed.

"Of course and Christy," I giggled.

Christy smiled too, and hugged me tightly. I hugged the two of them tightly, and hugged anyone else who needed a hug from me. "Do you need anything?" Keera asked. "I can get you anything you want."

"Really?" I whispered.

"Yes," Keera smiled.

"Well I'm really in the mood for a big hamburger with chips on the side and a milkshake," I told her.

Everyone in the room cheered and high fived. "Good to have you back B," Keera beamed. Then she hurried everyone out of the room before I was able to change my mind.

I smiled and waved with my good hand as they left. "We'll be back," Christy called over her shoulder.

My door didn't close behind them though. Instead a thin hand stopped it. The door opened, and my face flushed with embarrassments. "Hi Mrs. Rose," I murmured.

She stood before me as stunning as ever, with a winning smile on her face and tears in her eyes. "Hi Brownie."

LALALALALALALA!!

comment

vote

become a fan

share with others??

thanks:)