Please Be There Ch. 4

Chapter Four

Colleen

The next morning, I saw scribbled hand writing on a piece of lined paper. I sat in my chair, and read over it.

"Why 'ain't' isn't a word, by Brenda Foster.

First I would like to start off, apologizing for 'sassing' you. Sometimes I'm not the best when people criticize me. So I'm sorry for that.

Well, I'm not exactly sure why ain't isn't a word. In the world we live in, most people use it, so why shouldn't I? Am I so different from everyone else that you have to pick on me? I'm sorry Mrs. Rose, but I don't expect to be treated differently than anyone else."

I stopped reading, and slammed it on my desk. I bit my thumb nail, and glanced around. I was fuming. So the whole day it gnawed my mind. When 4th period came along, I sat behind my desk, and smiled. "Hello class," I smiled. "I was thinking that today we should assign seats. I was going to ask Mr. Joseph just move up, but that wouldn't be fair, right? I shouldn't be treating anyone differently, right?" I had the satisfaction of watching Brenda sink in her seat.

There were groans. "Now, now," I smiled, "Don't thank me. Thank Ms. Brenda. She was the one that suggested it." Everyone shot her a glare. "Everyone stand up," I ordered, "And to the back of the room."

I put people in their seats, with Brenda right in front of me. "Ms. Brenda, I'm still expecting that four page paper," I reminded her, "And every day it's late is an F."

Brenda stared at me with an open mouth, but I continued with the lesson. Everyone called out their answers, but Brenda stayed silent with her face flushed. I continued on with the lesson though, but I could tell Brenda was silently fuming.

When the class ended, Brenda stayed where she was. When everyone left, I said, "Is there a problem Ms. Brenda?"

"Are you out to ruin my life?" She snapped, "Do you really hate me that much?"

"Why would I do that?" I shrugged.

"Why would you embarrass me like that?" Brenda hissed, "I'll get teased for it."

"Oh, Ms. Brenda," I sighed, "If that's all you have to worry about, you've got a lot to learn."

"Stop calling me that," Brenda snapped, "Just call me Brenda."

"How're you feeling?" I asked instead.

"Fine," She whispered, "Why wouldn't I be fine? Why would you think there's something to worry about?"

"Just worrying," I shrugged.

"Do you think I'm anorexic or something?" She sputtered.

"I never said that," I smiled, "But it's funny you would think that."

Brenda stared at me. "You implied it," She told me.

"But I never said it," I argued with a small smile. Brenda's bottom lip quivered, and she gathered up her books.

"Well I'm not," She growled.

"Of course," I shrugged.

"I'm not," She repeated.

"Whatever you say," I smiled.

"I can't wait till this year is over," Brenda growled. "Don't be surprised if I skip all of your classes."

"Skip them," I told her, "I'll see you next year."

Brenda stared at me with dark brown eyes. They looked hollow and scared. Her stomach rumbled loudly, and she covered it by covering her arms over her torso. Her black dyed hair was tucked behind her ear, and she stood awkwardly in front of me. Suddenly her eyes filled with sorry. "Can I go now?" She asked.