Please Be There Ch. 8

Chapter Eight

Colleen

My hands gripped the steering wheel tightly as I continued to drive. Brenda glanced at me with a nervous look. "Did I fail?" She murmured, and I couldn't help but laugh.

"No," I chuckled, shaking my head. "You didn't."

"Why are you laughing at me?" Brenda asked.

"I just found that humorous," I shrugged, and then frowned. I remembered the matter at hand, and wasn't happy with it. I pulled over at the side of the road, and stared out the front window for a little.

"Why did we stop?" Brenda whispered.

I unbuckled myself, and turned to her. "Brenda," I asked, "Think of one word to describe you. Come on, quickly!"

"I can't," She muttered.

"Come on," I urged.

"I can't," She repeated.

I have a small smile. "Why?" I asked in a small voice. Brenda remained silent, looking down at her lap. "Are you not going to respond?" I guessed, "Alright, then I'll answer. I'm guessing you're not saying anything because you don't like what your first thought was. Am I right?"

Brenda meekly nodded her head.

I sighed. "I don't understand why in the class room you are so stubborn, but out you're so meek. Isn't there a in between with you?"

"Not that I know of," She muttered.

"Alright," I sighed, "Alright, then let me think. What words describe Brenda Foster?" I tapped my chin, and looked forward. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Brenda watching me intently. "Well besides stubborn and meek," I chuckled, "You can be witty, moody, and a little headstrong."

"I'm glad we're having this talk," She grumbled.

"But you're also admirable, smart, winsome," I ranted.

"With all due respect Mrs. Rose," Brenda sighed, "But you don't know me that well. We only met a few days ago, and you're already trying to depict what I'm like, and trying to protect me."

"Brenda, you know about my sister," I told her, "So of course I am going to care. And yes, I'm just guessing, but normally I'm a pretty good guesser."

I buckled up, and started on the road again. "You're right," I told her, "I don't know you that well. That's also not my fault; you're the one that keeps shutting down!"

"That's because I don't know you," She yelled. There was a moment of shocked silence. "I'm sorry," Brenda apologized, "I didn't mean to yell like that."

"You're right again," I told her, "That's not fair."

"I'm sorry," Brenda repeated.

"My name is Colleen Angela Brooks Rose," I exclaimed, "Not the best name, but you get what you get. I only had one sister, Melanie, who died at the age of sixteen. After she died, my parents blamed me for her death. My Dad beat me, while my Mother watched, and he was eventually hauled off to jail."

"Mrs. Rose," Brenda started.

I lifted up a hand as I continued to drive. "I graduated college from Berkley College," I continued, "And graduated with a teacher's degree. Two years after becoming a teacher, I met Collin, and we married soon after. Currently, we're unable to have kids. Though that's a little personal, oh well. And also, I've been teaching at Penn Ship High School for eight years. I think that's it."

"Mrs. Rose," Brenda murmured, "You didn't need to share all that information with me."

"Now you know me, and I would hope I know you, though I don't. We will take that slowly," I nodded, "Right?"

"I guess," Brenda murmured.

"Brenda, dear, there is no guessing in life," I told her, "The more you guess, the more unsure of yourself you'll be."

"Then yes," Brenda sighed.

"Do you trust me, Brenda?" I asked, "You need to trust me."

Brenda bit her bottom lip. "Yes," She agreed, "I trust you."

"Good," I smiled, "So let's get you home."

We drove on in silence. Brenda fiddled with her thumbs in her lap, and looked down at them. "My Dad used to beat us," She finally murmured.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"That's why he's in jail," She explained. "They caught him when I was little, a little later after my Ma died."

"I'm sorry," I said honestly.

"I don't remember it much," She continued, "I mean, I do, but mostly all I remember is my Mom always sticking up for me. After three boys, she was dying for a baby girl, and wouldn't allow anything to hurt me."

"So what do you think she'd say now?" I asked.

"I'd know what she'd say," She snapped.

"About you hurting yourself?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"That's not how I look at it," She muttered, looking out the window.

"Well at least you trust me with this information," I shrugged, "No matter how you see it." I decided not to point out that technically she just pointed out that she does have anorexia.

"That reminds me," She sighed, "No one knows that besides my brothers. Please don't tell anyone."

"You have my word," I promised. After that, Brenda led me to her house. "Forget about the paper," I told her as I slowly pulled up to her house.

"Thanks Mrs. Rose," She smiled, "And I won't sass you again."

"Thanks," I smiled. I pulled into her driveway, and saw one of her brothers standing in the doorway. Brenda grabbed her bag, and started to get out of the car. "Brenda, wait," I said, and she stopped. "Close the door," I ordered.

Hesitantly, Brenda closed the door. "Yes Mrs. Rose," She murmured.

"I want you to know that I will not let you starve yourself," I snapped, "I will always be down your throat about it, and the only thing you can do about it is eat normally and not throw it back up. Are you listening to me?"

"Yes ma'am," She nodded.

"Because I will make sure you don't leave this world until we're both done fighting," I continued, "End of story."

"I don't plan on dying," She told me.

"Yeah, well then start changing your ways," I ordered, "Now go inside before your brother in the doorway starts having a heart attack."

Brenda smiled sweetly. "Thank you Mrs. Rose," She whispered.

"No problem dear," I answered. Brenda got out of my car, and ran to her front step. Her brother talked with her for a minute, put his hand on her shoulder, and then pushed her inside.

I pulled out of Brenda's driveway, and started towards my house. It was actually closer to Brenda's house then I thought it was. My house was a little house in the middle of a cold-a-sack. It was Collin's parent's house for awhile, and then he got the house when they left.

I pulled into my driveway, and got out of the car. Collin was waiting for me in the doorway. He stood behind the screen door just waiting for me. I smiled, and ran quickly to the front door. Collin opened the screen door, and hugged me tightly. "How was it?" Collin asked, bringing me inside.

"Alright," I sighed.

"A sore spot?" He questioned.

"A little," I nodded.

"Sorry Hon," He replied, hugging me tighter.

"It's alright," I sighed. I really did hope that everything was going to be alright though.

sorry it took me so long to update!

share with friends!!

thanks:)