Chapter Twenty-Five: One Choice

"Gross, someone left an apple core on the bench," I give the brownish apple a dirty look.

Drew does a thing that I love so much when it comes out of him: laughter, "Would you freak out if someone came running after you with it?"

I snort, "Le duh."

I should not have said that because Drew, being a person who secretly likes dark humour will do anything to make himself laugh.

He picks the apple up by it's stem and starts to walk closer towards me. I step one step further for every step he takes closer. After a long time, I reach a store wall and cannot continue walking. Drew is still holding the half-eaten apple and walking closer to me with a devious smirk on his face. I left him for a few months and he's turned into a psychopath.

Before he reaches me, I make a run for it. It's hard to run in flats and I'll probably get a blister, but it's better than getting touched with a creepy apple core.

"I'm gonna get you," he chases after me with a huge grin spread across his face.

I smile unhesitatingly back, "You're looking at a marathon runner here!"

"Since when do you run marathons, you lazy couch potato!" His words are interrupted by raspy breathing and panting.

I dodge a little girl holding a Barbie, "I run every summer. You can join me if you lose some of that belly fat."

I hear him gasp behind me, making me chuckle. He seems to notice my laughter and become a super-runner. Drew magically sprints and grabs me from behind. I scream when the apple core is about to touch my face, but it doesn't. It simply rests in between my two eyes, not making any contact with my skin.

"I hear that apples clean pores," Drew inches the apple closer to my face. I begin to squeeze my eyes tight.

Just when I think the apple core is about to hit me, I hear Drew laughing and I no longer feel his warm body around mines.

I spin around and I see Drew basically rolling on the ground laughing. It's not even that funny. I get a steady hold of the handle of my purse and I swing it to hit Drew's arm.

"Damn," he squeezes his arm so hard that it's beginning to turn pale, "Lesson learnt."

I cross my arms over my chest and huff, "It better have been."

We do some shopping(I buy him a few items since I wasn't there for his birthday), then go to the food court. He buys the two of us some healthy food. We eat in the quietness of the thousands of talking people. It's as close to paradise as I ever wished for.

"So besides a pregnant roommate, what else is new?" he takes a huge bite of his burger, leaving a trail of mayonnaise behind on his face.

I pass him a tissue, "I'm flunking school and I was in a fire." I'm saying it as if it happens everyday.

"What?" he spits out a price of lettuce.

I try to speak louder, "I'm flunking school and I was in a fire."

He wipes his mouth, "No, I meant what happened?" Drew honestly looks appalled.

"For flunking school or the fire?" I question innocently.

Drew outs his head in his hand and grunts with annoyance, "Celeste, just stop avoiding the subject and tell me. I already know that you were lying when you were telling me that school was fine. I don't need any more lies from you."

He requested for it, so I tell him everything. His uncomfortable layer shows when I speak about Carter and he keeps fisting his hands together. I would've thought that he'd be more shocked at the end if my story, but he seems relatively calm.