Chapter Seventeen: Beep. Beep. Beep.

"I'm pregnant."

My knees and palms feel a hard impact when they hit the ground. I have rolled off of the couch.

"P-p-pregnant?"

Dove nods, "I went to the doctor's to ask for a prescription for stomach flu medicine, but somehow, he thought that my throw ups could be linked with pregnancy. I did the pregancy test, which was positive, then I got scanned and I am officially one-month pregnant."

I probably should've pitied her or congratulated her, but the first thing that came to my mind was who else's baby is this. After I thought of that, a picture of Lucas formed in my mind and I felt my teeth and hands clench in anger. How could he take advantage of inconcent Dove?

My fury soon died down as my mind formed one clear thought: ranting about careless Lucas will not help Dove whatsoever.

"Did the doctor tell you whose child this is?" I slowly pull myself back onto the couch, wiping the stray strands of hair away from my tired and still slightly tear stained face.

Dove puts her face in her hands after sitting next to me on the couch, "He said that he can't test the baby's DNA until after they are born. What am I going to tell my parents? I would never be able to show up at my own house again. They would stop paying for my university fee."

I wonder what my own parents would say about me being pregnant at this age. They'd first throw a violent fit, then sue the guy's family. To punish me, they'd make sure that I am fifty feet away from boys at all times and I probably would get married when I'm eighty, if not never. Since Dove comes from a family much similar to mines, I'm guessing her parents will have the same reaction.

"Are you going to, um, have the baby?" I feel awkward about asking if she was going to do abortion or not mainly because I already know the answer.

"Yes. I can't just kill a child! I would never forgive myself!" she sounds even more distressed than earlier. She is crying again and her locks of hair are sticking to her face. When she looks up at me, I can tell that she will no longer be able to talk.

Instead of talking, I sit silently beside the weeping girl. I'm usually not very good at comforting people and I almost always make it worst. The only thing I can do is to let Dove cry it out. Hopefully, she can drain her emotions out before they get the better of her. Nobody wants to see someone as kind and gentle as Dove, hurt by a mistake she doesn't even know who caused.

Just like me, earlier today, Dove falls asleep as she cries. There is something about letting it all out that makes you exhausted and ready for a five hour nap. I wave my hand in front of her now-at-peace face to make sure that she is fully asleep, which she is, before running to the kitchen counter to retrieve my phone where I left it. I take a long breath before dialling the number.

"Lucas," I hiss once he greets me huskily.

"Wow, no need to be mean now. What got your panties in a twist? Was is Drew? I heard he broke up with you." The chuckle he makes makes me even more furious and ready to yell at him. If I could, I would reach through this phone and choke him. Someone will invent that in the future and I will be able to choke him all I like.

I hold the edge of the stove to make sure I won't hit anything, "Nothing got my panties in a twist, but I'm sure you got Dove's."

"What is that supposed to mean? Dove and I were off years ago, you don't have to be jealous anymore." He lets out the same chuckle, but this time it's vocally louder. Lucas Smith needs to grow up. We are not in high school anymore, so we do not act like drunk teenagers anymore either. Someone needs to teach that boy responsibility for his actions and I am afraid, it'll have to be me.