Chapter Seventeen

“Jacie?”

I groaned, my voice muffled by a combination of weariness and throw pillows. “Go away Chuck.”

“I’m not Charles,” the voice rang out sing-songingly. “Wake up, and don’t bite me.”

I rolled onto my side, cracking open my left eye. “Adelaide?” The light had me recoiling back into the shadows.

“Yes.” She smiled brightly. “Please call me Addy. You don’t like it when people call you Joslyn, do you? Anyway, Charles is waiting.”

I propped myself up to check the clock. “It’s eight.”

“I know, but he called Mason with your phone, and—”

“He did what?” I was pretty much on my feet by now, searching under the table for my shoes. I slipped them on as I bounced toward the door, Addy laughing behind me as she pulled her coat on.

“Easier than I expected.”

The staircase echoed with my hurried footsteps until I pushed through the door outside. I found Charles lying on the hood of his truck, his back against the windshield. I took no moment to collect my wits, storming right up to him and smacking my hand on his stomach. As he ‘oof’ed I thrust my hand out expectantly.

“I believe you have my phone?”

He smiled at me through the pain, sliding his hand into his pocket and pulling out my phone. After he handed it to me he slid off the hood and made his way to the driver’s side door. “You get the middle seat. You’re the shortest.”

I rolled my eyes and joined him in the car moments before Adelaide finally made her way down. As we pulled out I reset my password on the phone. “If you take my phone again I’m reporting it stolen.”

“Good,” Charles chimed. “Your phone company should cover the grievances enough to upgrade you from android to iPhone.”

He veered a sharp left, and I had to grab the dashboard to keep from falling on Adelaide. She was bouncing around next to me excitedly. “I love this park! Charles, we have to stop by the pond. Please? I want to see the ducks!”

“Adelaide…..the ducks are in Texas. If there are any here, they’re dead.”

Charles laughed as she pouted, and he eased into a parking spot. I could see Mason sitting on a black wooden bench, his hood pulled up over a blue beanie, and a letterman over his hoodie.

I practically shoved Adelaide out of the truck when she opened the door, and Mason barely pushed up from the bench in enough time for me to tackle him in a tight hug, burying my face in his chest. He stumbled back, having to brace himself by putting his hand on the bench. With his free hand he returned the hug. “Hey Jace.”

“I’m so sorry. So, so, so very sorry,” I breathed into his body. I slowly unwrapped myself from his body, settling on the ground. Behind me Adelaide cleared her throat. “Oh, right.” I motioned behind me. “Mason, this is Addy. She’s Charles’s sister.”

Mason smiled sweetly, extending a hand for Addy to shake. She smiled and took his hand in her own. “Nice to meet you,” she greeted gushingly. Jealousy rose up in me, but I disguised it well, trusting Adelaide. When Charles sided up next to her she cocked her head to the side and whispered, “You’re double screwed. He’s damn fine.”

Rolling my eyes I attached myself to Mason’s arm, setting my head on his shoulder.

Charles cleared his throat. “Well?”

Adelaide glared at him. “Give me a minute, okay?” Sighing, she closed her eyes and began to breathe slowly. After a couple seconds her eyes flashed open, completely black and staring blankly at Mason before she collapsed. Charles barely caught her thin form, slowly guiding her unconscious body to the ground. My grip on Mason tightened.