Chapter Thirteen

“Jacie?”

“Get away from her Rice. Looks like you’ve done enough harm.”

“You honestly think I bit her? I thought you were more evolved than that.”

“That’s a bite? I couldn’t tell from all the blood. Could have at least cleaned this up on your own.”

I didn’t want to wake up. It was kind of amusing to see what would happened without the persuasion of my consciousness.

“This would be the part where you tell me what happened Rice.”

“Not yet.”

The silence became eerie, static.

“Why not?”

“I’m waiting for her. Don’t you respect her privacy, Morlandt?”

Mason all but growled. “You know I do. I’m just wondering what you’re doing with my girlfriend after dark.”

Not wanting Charles to give a smart-aleck response, I took this as my cue to moan as if I were just now waking up.

“Jacie?”

“Jace?”

I mentally smiled at their concern. “Hey.” I fluttered my eyes open and attempted to prop myself up on my elbows, sinking a little into Mason’s mattress as I stared into the guys’ eyes. “What am I doing here?” I feigned ignorance.

Concern flashed across both faces for a split second before Charles saw through my façade. “Do you want me to tell him?” he sighed

I blinked rapidly, and, knowing just what had to be said, considered faking a relapse into unconsciousness. I couldn’t do that to Mason, though. He didn’t deserve me to be hiding anything from him. I had to give him the truth. I trusted him with it.

I nodded. Rather Charles than me.

“Finally!” Mason exclaimed while glaring at Charles, earning him a glare from me. He seemed hurt and confused after that, but tried to hide that with his flat toned remarks toward Charles. “Get on with it, Rice.” He put his hand over mine, warming it with the touch. I almost pulled away when I realized he was trying to make Charles jealous, but sometimes you just have to let things go.

“Your wish is my command, Morlandt,” Charles barked back icily. “I’m informing you now that if you repeat what I am about to say to anyone I will literally and personally have to kill you. I don’t trust you, but Jacie does. I trust her. Understood?”

“Yeah.” Mason was obviously taking the threat as a joke. My heart squeezed at this realization, pain shooting through my body. Before I could catch it, a cry of pain ripped through me. Both guys immediately shot to me, Mason concerned, but Charles ready to act.

It was here I realized he would kill me if I needed it.

“Keep talking. I’m fine.” The words flowed easily through my clenched teeth, the tightening of my heart still straining my entire body. I began to see black dots, and my extremities were going numb as I felt like slipping away again. I fought this, trying to focus on what Charles was saying. I couldn’t hear him, though, and I could read his blurred lips. My bones began to pop, readjusting to compromise with my bodymate. Somehow I knew this wouldn’t affect my human appearance, but made it easier to morph between forms.

Mason’s hand tightened its grip on my own, and he looked down at me. The sympathy in his eyes drew me in, and I was drowning in them. Water was cool against my skin, sweat in reality but in my slight pain high I was actually underwater. I saw bubbles pop out of my mouth when I tried to speak, navigating up toward the ceiling. Amused with this daydream, this trip on pain, I laughed and took a deep breath in.