Chapter Thirty-Three

I was crushed between Charles and Malcolm in the cab of the truck, holding pinkies with Charles.

Malcolm was pumped, excited to be a part of this. He and I were intended to be back up. Charles had one syringe, one chance. If that didn't work Malcolm and I would shift, that way we had each other's back and the vampires didn't have to worry about an accident.

I was shaking, terrified, and Charles knew it. He hated not being able to comfort me, that his attempts to do so typically made things worse.

For example, last night.

We pulled off the side of the road behind Adelaide's car. Mason was already here, already set up.

We didn't talk. We didn't waste time on the pretense of last words, last moments. We wouldn't give this instance that satisfaction.

Charles, Addy, and Caleb were the first in. Malcolm and I followed, perfectly imitating their stealth. I knew she could smell us, so I stopped hiding and trudged ahead. Caleb grabbed me by the hood of my jacket and yanked me back. "Do not screw this up," he seethed.

I growled, but slowed and followed him again.

When we came to the clearing there was a tiny light flickering along to the eerie soundtrack of soft laughter. I could smell Mason's fear already leaking through the cracks in his moral plaster.

Adelaide and Charles crept around. Caleb gave a signal, and things were off like a bullet from a gun.

She knows.

They jumped out and tried to grab her, but I was right. We were stupid, rash, idiotic, and flawed. We were too quick into this plan, too far behind. She dodged their arms and was across the clearing in a second. Caleb didn't seem fazed by this, going after her.

It was hard to find focus in the blurs of their death dance, but I could see that Mason had scooted as far out of the way that he could. His face was pale with fear.

I paled with guilt.

Charles and Adelaide managed to get back in the game, grabbing a hold of her while she was preoccupied with Caleb. I saw sun hit the syringe, and then my heart stopped. She threw her weight back, kicking her legs up and knocking the poison to the ground while she ripped herself from their grasp. Caleb hit the ground hard, making sure she didn't get a hold of it, and she disappeared further into the woods.

Malcolm snarled next to me, and I had a moment of warning before he ripped from his skin and landed in fur. He paused to give me a moment to respond, and soon I was loping beside him. His strides were longer than mine, but my motive helped me keep pace with him.

I wanted her dead.

Now.

She took us in a circle. All the way through the woods and back to the clearing. I could smell Mason before we broke the tree line, and I snarled at him. Run.

He scrambled up and tried to get around the trees. My heart broke when he slipped, but he got back up on his feet. But then there was a blur moving behind him.

I shot off.

There was a sharp pain in the pad of my rear leg, and it shot up through my hip. My heart was racing. I was surprised she hadn't caught him yet.

She's taunting you. Don't let your guard down, Lacey warned.

My back legs dugs in with more purpose, realizing she was right, and the sinew under my skin screamed in protest. I was filled with adrenaline, too distracted to notice if there was a fire in my lungs or if I had seriously damaged my leg.