Chapter Thirty-One

While Charles and I were mustering up the venom, Caleb and Addy found where "Ambryn Goodes" lived and did a drive by. She wasn't in at the time, so there wasn't much for us to do except come up with a plan to draw her in. At first I flat out objected, but when Caleb insisted it was our best shot I couldn't help but agree.

We were all gathered around in Charles's living room. I was tense in the recliner with Charles sitting on the right arm. Adelaide was lying down on the couch and Caleb sat with her legs over his lap.

I rubbed my temples and stared straight ahead. "What's to ensure Mason is going to go along with this? He doesn't exactly owe me anything."

"Well, for one, he'll probably be saving his own ass," Caleb pointed out.

"She's already shown an interest in him," Charles added.

I shifted in the seat to better face him. "And what if he hates my guts? What if he's already had dreams about setting me on fire? What if those dreams made him smile?"

"He won't," Charles reassured me. "He hasn't."

I played this conversation over in my head before bed that night, like a sick replay of the worst decision of my life.

This worrying, did, however, distract me from the usual pain of athletics that net morning. I took my time getting dressed, but I wasn't slow enough. When I got out my eyes immediately found Mason sitting under the shade of a giant tree and staring through the clusters of classmates around him.

So this is what a broken heart looks like.

I jumped, not expecting Lacey to show up. Shut up.

"Mason?"

He looked up, and there was nothing but pain in his eyes. When he spoke his voice was full of spite, guarding his well-being and attempting to maintain composure. "What?"

"I need to talk to you."

The bell sliced an awkward pause in the encounter, and he stood through it. "Whatever it is can wait until lunch. I have more important things to deal with."

I was struck, and he left me alone in the feeling. The core of my humanity ached as it recognized the pain and torture I had inflicted on him.

My classes flew by, none of the lessons soaking in. When lunch finally rolled around I sat with Dekland and Destiny first, not bothering to involve myself in their conversation. My eyes scanned the cafeteria as I absentmindedly pushed my food around my tray.

Charles slid into the seat to my right, taking a bite of my salad before pointing Mason out to me. He had tucked himself into a corner of the cafeteria most students avoided due to the blackened, water-stained ceiling that swelled with threat.

"Go talk to him."

"But¬¬¬–"

"No 'but's. I'd do this for you, but I think that would convince him to go work for her. Plus he seems to be wielding a spork, and I'm not sure I could regenerate my eyes if he gouged them out."

I growled and stood unwillingly, trying to walk over there without looking like I was walking down death row. My heart was racing, palms sweating.

I slid into the seat opposite Mason. "Hey." I hated the way my voice shook.

He looked up from his tray. "So what did you need?"

I took a deep breath. "Okay, so this is going to sound weird and everything, but I need you to listen. I need this to be important to you."