Chapter 8

"Why are you so happy?" Kid asked me as we got home. I had been smiling all day ever since Crona asked me out.

"No reason," I said, going back to my studies.

"Baby sister," he began, using Soul's smirk to benefit the look he was trying to give me. My brother never really liked me keeping secrets from him.

"Older brother," I said in the same tone.

"Tell me," he pleaded. I sighed.

"Fine. The reason I have been so happy is because I have a date with someone."

Kid's eyes widened. Is it that shocking that I could get a date? That was Tsubaki's reaction too.

"Please don't tell me it's Soul," Kid then said. I looked at him, tube expression on my face reading, 'you cannot be serious.'

"No it's not Soul. Why would you even guess that?"

"You two were getting pretty close at the party."

"We were dancing. And besides, it would jeopardize his relationship with Black Star."

"Fine, then who is it? Ox?"

"No. It's Crona."

"Nope. I forbid it. You're not going out with him."

"And why not?"

"Well first, he's wearing my face."

"It's going to be after this whole confusion thing is over with."

"And second with his unstable soul, it might be dangerous for you. I am not risking it again."

"It's not your decision to make. I'm going on a date with him Kid."

"Girl, you're too young to be dating. Dad wouldn't approve of this and I sure as hell don't. You're not going."

"The hell I'm not."

I stomped away from him, angry at his lack of trust in me and my judgment.

***

"Listen up people!" Ragnarok exclaimed to students in the lunch room the next day.

"Ragnarok, no!" Crona yelled at his attached partner. Apparently the force of Ragnarok overpowered his own.

"Everybody, I have an announcement!"

All the attention turned to the black figure. He took Crona's face I his hands and squeezed his cheeks.

"Little Crona here has a date with none other than Death the Girl."

"That was none of your business," the pink haired boy said with red cheeks. The room erupted in applause.

"About time," Black Star said from next to me. "You two have been too cute and flirty for a while."

"Shut up Black Star," Maka told him, punching his arm lightly. She looked at me, sending me a wink that made me blush a little.

"Does Kid know about this?" Tsubaki asked. I nodded, but then just looked down at my lunch tray. Tsuki looked at me with a concerned look.

"Is he not happy about it?" she asked me.

"Kid thinks Crona's bad news," I explained to my friends. "Because his soul isn't stable at all times, Kid thinks he might be something related to the kishin from a while ago. Which I think is quite impossible."

Tsuki shrugged before saying, "Maybe he's just concerned for his little sister. You can't blame him for that."

"I'm not. I'm just sick of him not liking Crona. I like him and he's nice so why wouldn't Kid like him?"

"Not sure, be we should get to class now."

Just as she said it, the bell rang and everyone in the lunchroom fled to their next classes. Unike everyone else, I had to go to Stein's office to get my vision checked. He said it was odd how I was still seeing people all confused but he was content that it was slowly coming back to me. Still, he wanted to run a couple test.

***

"Do you even remember how your battle with the last kishin ended?" he asked while flashing a small flashlight in my eyes. Right now, he looked like Maka's dad with a cigarette in his mouth, a screw in his head, and a scar across his face.

"I remember dealing the final blow," I began. "Tsuki and I were using Kishin hunter and I guess that was it. I cut her in half. But I guess her confusion must have hit me just before then."

"Possibly your partner as well," Stein then says. "As I said before, I found traces of the kishin soul when you and Tsuki used Soul Resonance. There's a possibility that you are not the only one who was affected by the confusion kishin."

"I know, I just think it's not Tsuki," I shrugged.

"You do realize that by saying you doubt it's your partner, you're putting yourself up to be questioned. People would suspect that you are part kishin as well."

"I know, but I'm starting to believe it myself. I mean, I've been getting dreams at night that I can't explain. All of them center around the little girl that was the kishin. And when I wake up, my limbs feel heavy. I haven't told anyone this, but sometimes I hear her voice when I pass that street. It's scary."

Stein placed a hand on my shoulder.

"You're going to get through this," he told me. " You're a strong reaper, Girl. Your whole family is strong. And even if there was some traces of kishin inside you, there's a way to get it out without harming you or anyone else."

"Really?"

"Yes. We could use the Genie hunter and it would kill off the remaining part of the kishin's soul without harming you. But we need to be sure which one of you is connected to the kishin before we try anything. For now, you can go back to class, our session is over."

"Okay." I hopped off the patient's bed and headed toward the door.

"Before you go," Stein began, stopping me in my tracks. "Be sure to make up with your brother. He talked to me this morning about Crona asking you on a date. He didn't sound to happy about it. You should talk to him.

"He's just going to tell me to stay away from Crona," I sighed. "Kid told me that Crona's slight madness will only hurt me because of the condition I'm in now."

"Don't worry about that," Stein said with a smile. "I told him it was impossible for Crona's wavelength to hurt you unintentionally. And since I know for a fact he would never want to hurt you, there's practically no chance of him hurting you like that."

"Thanks. And I'll try to make up with my brother."

"That's all I ask," he said just before I ran to class.