Sick

By Winter, the majority of our town had fallen ill. A flu was going around, rendering many mothers useless, the school half full of its students. Ms. A fell victim to the coughing and spluttering quite early on, before many others like her, becoming bed-ridden. It wasn't life threatening, nor anything close to it, but it did dampen the household's mood significantly.

A quiet Friday evening would normally have been a blessing, but with the wind and rain howling outside and sickness looming, I felt myself more restless than ever. Natsu had stayed home from school the past couple of days as to avoid catching anything. Ms. A rarely made appearances outside of our bedroom, which I no longer slept in. I found myself comfortably residing in my office, on a couch near the window. I was silently grateful to avoid Ms. A and I's sex life.

At times like these I busied myself with household chores that couldn't be taken care of otherwise. I didn't mind picking up the work. The tasks at hand were hardly difficult, and could be done in under an hour. That is, if things went smoothly, which was also a rare occurance.

Dinner had long been made and served, the kitchen still warm with the scent of freshly baked bread. I sat at the dining room table, straightening mats and writing down notes of food we needed to pick up. Not ten minutes into my work, I heard light footsteps making their way down the stairs. Focusing on the gait, I easily picked up that it was Natsu. Ms. A was moving much slower these days, much heavier. These steps were those of a curious delinquent, light on his feet as to go undetected. Along with the pitter patter of his feet came a light laughter, drifting into the kitchen as if it were a floral incense. The gentle heat of my surroundings became more intense as he neared, and I needn't look up to know he had paused in the doorway, gazing at me.

My peripheral vision granted me little of his appearance, but he wore what I had guessed was a white nightgown, donned in lace and ribbons. An aesthetic appeal, unlike typical nightly wear for someone his age. His hair was less volumnous from what I could tell, hinting that it was tied back into braids, or perhaps a ponytail. Focusing again on the pen and ink in my hands, I anxiously awaited him to make himself known.

His laughter faded out as he caressed the wall entering into the kitchen. He hid his face slightly, seeming to be cautious of if I had seen him or not.

"Sage," He started, his voice hardly audible. "I can't sleep... Could you tuck me in?" His angelic voice never failed to spin my heart into a daze, and I looked up at him finally.

His hair was, in fact, in braids, loose ones at that, his bangs falling about his forehead messily, curls framing his face. Stray hairs flicked up and hung by his cheekbones. His face was pink from sleep, yet his eyes were wide awake. Despite his attempts, I wasn't easily fooled, and I sat back in my chair, indignant.

"You haven't gone to sleep yet, Natsu," I leveled my voice, not allowing his adorable appearance to strike down my guard. "Wait an hour and see if you're tired then, alright?"

Defiant per usual, Natsu groaned and hung limply off of the doorway. I glanced at his neck, discoloured in areas where I had foolishly left evidence of our affair. He had attempted to cover it with makeup, to no avail. His nightgown was long but sheer, giving away the eloquent shape of his body under the candle light. His hips, also home to light bruises and bite marks, were as delicate and full as ever. I felt my mouth begin to water at the sight of him and forced myself to look away. He noticed I had done so and straightened himself out, releasing his grip on the wall and making his way over to me.

"I wanna go to sleep early so I can go to the pool tomorrow...." Now playing coy, his voice lowered to match. He began towards me slowly, one foot in front of the other, his hips swaying as he spoke. "Please take me up to bed... I'm desperate to rest~"